Chapter 17

I am so sorry for the extremely late update you guys. It's been a crazy week. But I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and hopefully it makes up for the long wait.
__________________________

We were all seated in the small library, when all of a sudden Mary dropped her cup onto the floor. We all looked to her to see her as white as a sheet.

"I'm so sorry" Lady Violet leaned forward and grabbed Mary's hand. "What's happened?" She asked worried.

"I don't know. I suddenly felt terribly cold" she said with fear in her eyes.

~~~~

"Sybil, Lilly?" I heard someone call, I turned over to see Anna stood by our bed holding a candle. "What is it?" Sybil asked from her side of the bed.

"You're both needed downstairs" Sybil and I looked to each other as we quickly got out of bed.

~~~~

"I didn't know what else to do when I saw the telegram. I knew it was urgent, so I hope I was right" said Mr. Molesley as we all gathered in the small library.

I hugged my robe closer to me. "Quite right" said Robert "Mrs. Crawley won't mind my opening it. The main thing is he's alive not dead.

Not yet anyway. They've patched him up. They're bringing him to the hospital in Downton" Mary grabbed my hand, I squeezed it reassuringly.

"When do you think he'll get here?" Cora asked her husband. "It doesn't say" he looked back to the telegram. "But how do we contact Isobel? How will she get back?" She asked again.

"One thing at a time. I'll ring the War Office in the morning" he told his wife. "Maybe they know she's out there. Perhaps she's with him now"

"They wouldn't have send a telegram here, and she'd have rung. No, it's the usual balls... Usual mess-up I'm afraid" Mr. Carson cleared his throat.

"Beg pardon, m'lord, but we're all very anxious to know the news" he motioned towards the doorway. "Yes, of course" Robert walked towards the doorway of the library.

Mary and I walked behind him, hand in hand. Mrs. Hughes along with everyone else were gathered outside the library.

"It appears that a few days ago, Captain Crawley was wounded. It's serious, I'm afraid, but he's alive and on his way home, to the hospital in the village" he told all of them.

"Where there's life, there's hope" Mrs. Hughes reassured. "What about William? Is he alright?" Daisy asked Robert. "I'll find out what I can tomorrow. I'm not sure there's much more we can do tonight" Robert told her.

"Williams father will have had a telegram is anything had happened" Mr. Bates assured. "I'll drive over in the morning" said Edith. Everyone started to go back towards the stairwell.

Mr. Carson following them. Edith and Sybil walked out holding hands with Cora behind them. Robert rested his hand on the back of a chair as Mary let go of my hand.

She grabbed her father's hands. "Whatever you discover, tell me. Don't keep anything back" he leaned down and kissed her cheek as she walked out.

I have Robert a small smile as I followed Mary. She reached out and grabbed my hand once more as we followed everyone up the stairs.