•twenty-seven•

Ara barely had time to worry about the consequences her out burst would have, because a large brown tawny owl swooped into the classroom and dropped a letter into her awaiting palm.

She knew exactly who the letter was from before turning it over to read the name on the front. Her parents.

She put a few knuts in the pouch tied to the owl's leg and shakily removed the envelope's contents. The smooth parchment felt heavy in her hands.

It's finally time. We've built up an army big enough to intimidate those who dare defy us. The Dark Lord was thrilled when we told him of your new powers. Legilimency powers as strong as yours will be extremely useful in our riddance of muggles. Your cousin, Bellatrix, has already been sworn in. You have till your graduating year, we'd rather you be finished with school before you receive the mark. Start embracing your real name Araminta Lestrange, we are ever so proud to have raised such a loyal daughter. This letter will burn itself as soon as you finish reading, for safety precautions.

Our deepest regards,

Mum & Dad

Angry tears fell from Ara's eyes as she watched the letter burst into flames in front of her. The dancing orange flames ate away at her mum's neat script until only a pile of ashes was left. A slight draft blew them apart, sending the gray flakes in a million directions.

She knew the day would come. Her parents had talked in hushed voices about the idea of a dark army for as long as she could remember. The name of their leader rarely came up, but when it was spoken aloud Ara felt a chill travel up her spine. She despised the name almost as much as her own.

Araminta Lestrange.

Balling her fists and pressing them against her closed eyes, she watched the green spots appear against her lids. The tears failed to cease.

"I'm sorry," was all she could whisper. To whom she was apologizing was unclear. Remus, Lily, Mary, Sirius, James, Peter, Dumbledore, or even herself. For what she was apologizing was also unclear. For lying? For telling Remus to be unconcerned about putting her in danger when she was putting him in just as much?

Ara felt helpless. She didn't know what to do or who to turn to. Maybe she had pushed Remus away just a few minutes ago because she knew it was coming, because she knew it wouldn't last.

Angrier she became as she thought of the false masks her parents put on when they were out in public. The kind, tolerant, fair, loving people her parents pretended to be when really they were just the opposite. They'd never been mean to their daughter, perhaps a little distant, but they really thought following this evil path was what was best for them.

-----

Remus walked back to the common room. He was unsure how to feel. Being who he was, he automatically placed the blame on himself and his mind tried incessantly to figure out what he had done wrong. Lupin still did not understand how this girl had so quickly made him fall for her. He had never cared so much about anyone.

James and Lily were the only ones in the common room. He watched Lily's disgusted expressions as James waggled his eyebrows in a flirtatious manner. They both held a certain light in their eyes, one Remus hadn't seen in Ara's for a while.

James noticed him then.

"What's going on Lupin?"

"How's Ara?" Lily asked.

Remus didn't exactly feel like talking about what had happened, "She's fine. I'm going to head up to the dorm and do my Potions essay."

Evans and Potter shared a look.

"That was odd," they said at the same time, falling into a fit of laughter at their synchronized words.

"You're not too bad, Potter," Lily smiled.

James took in the sight of her bright red hair and gentle smile. Her soft green eyes that reminded him of a doe. (A/N: *winks*) In that moment he wanted so badly to kiss her.

Suddenly Lily let out a groan, "James, your tie is tied wrong again."

She moved closer to him and pulled the knot out of the striped tie. She skillfully tied it correctly, tightening it and laying it straight.

"Doesn't matter, classes are over now anyways," Potter surmised, very aware of their close proximity.

A piece of hair had fallen across James's forehead. It had fallen just so it looked like a bolt of lightning.

That's what she felt when he kissed her, like a bolt of lightning had hit her in the best possible way. An electric shock.

So their four friends sat. Each in their own little world yet very connected. One in a state of anger so deep her insides shook. One feeling electric. One feeling all of his sadness returning. One could only think one thing, "Finally."

-----

Mr. and Mrs. Lestrange, formerly known as the Jones', knocked on the door of a top-secret location. This is where the Dark Lord and his faithful followers would meet for now, just until a better location could be found. A teenage girl with jet black ringlets let them in.

"Auntie," she greeted, flashing sharp teeth.

"Bellatrix, lovely to see you dear."

"They're upstairs. Little Bella's not allowed in this meeting. It's secret," she whispered, a crazed look coming over the girl's stern features.

"Thank you, we'll head up."

The room was crowded with people. Familiar adults of pureblood decent filled the space. In the front of the room sat their leader.

Bone white skin stretched tight across a skull. Two snake-like eyes pouring into the souls of everyone all at once. Voldemort.

"Welcome," he said, "You're the last to arrive."

The crowd silenced and with a flourished movement the Dark Lord pulled the sleeve of his robe up. A collective gasp sounded as the followers took in the dark ink depicting a snake slithering from the mouth of a skull.

"So," he smiled, something that couldn't have looked more unnatural, "Who's first?"

The witches and wizards that would soon make up the group that would soon call themselves the "Death Eaters" lined up to seal their fate in the shape of an interconnected skull and serpent.

Morsmordre.

~~~~~

A/N: I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT HOW HISTORICALLY INACCURATE THIS CHAPTER MIGHT BE

Thanks for reading! (: