The Sugar Quill

The Sugar Quill

Bartemius Crouch watched with pursed lips as Edgar Odair entered his office. Sitting opposite Bartemius's desk were two people - an auror named Maximilian Coldwright and the mediwitch Dorcas Meadowes. Bartemius stared at the boy. "Hold the door, Mr. Potter," Bartemius said as he leaned back in his seat and lifted his wand, running it through his fingers thoughtfully for a moment, then flicked it at a stack of parchment, turning one into a little aeroplane, which swept up from the tray and out the door. Bartemius put his wand down as Charlus watched the aeroplane go.

"Good morning, Barty," said Charlus, letting the door close. "Mr. Coldwright, Miss. Meadowes."

"Wotcher Potter," replied Dorcas, waving with two fingers and a wink.

Maximilian Coldwright nodded.

Edgar was looking about with curiosity at a giant globe that spun silently in the corner of the room and several fluttering parchment aeroplanes that had come into the room as Bartemius's had gone out, all hovering above his desk.

Bartemius was studying the boy still.

"This is Edgar Odair," said Charlus, waving to the boy.

"Given that was whom you mentioned this meeting would be regarding, I am sure that we all have assumed as much," Bartemius replied snarkily. He looked Edgar over carefully.

"What are all the aeroplanes for?" Edgar asked, pointing at the fluttering parchments.

"They're inter-department memos," offered Dorcas. She patted the chair between her and Max. "C'mere and have a seat, Edgar."

Edgar watched the memos in awe, then went over and sat down.

Hovering behind Edgar's chair, one hand on the boy's shoulder, Charlus looked at Bartemius expectantly.

"Now that we are all here," Bartemius said, "We can begin. Miss. Meadowes, did you bring along the veritaserum?"

"Veritaserum?" Edgar asked, confused.

"Yes, sir." Bartemius replied. "I want the truth."

Edgar looked at Bartemius and then to Charlus. "What is that?"

"It's a truth potion, Edgar," replied Charlus. "It's just to make sure that you're telling Mr. Crouch the truth about what happened that night, so that we can help Jasper. Is that alright?"

Edgar looked nervous, "Okay."

Dorcas Meadows reached down and grabbed her purse from the floor. "Don't be nervous, Edgar, it's really not so bad. Here, look I have it here. I've made it into a sugar quill here for you so it's not as scary." Dorcas help up the sugar quill - it was a red one. Edgar's favorite colour was the red sugar quills - Jasper had gotten one for each of his brothers during his Diagon Alley trips every year that he'd been going to Hogwarts.

Edgar instantly felt better.

"Thank you," Edgar said, taking the quill and sucking on the end of it.

The adults all watched him for several moments and he felt rather self-conscious, but continued at eating the sucker. When he'd been eating it for some time, Dorcas looked at Maximilian Coldwright, who lifted his wand and waved it to produce a small shimmering bubble - which would record Edgar's confession - and Dorcas took Edgar's extra hand - the one not holding the lolly - and she said, "Edgar, tell us your favorite colour?"

"It's red," he replied.

"Red is a great colour!" Dorcas said with a smile. "How old are you love?"