Chapter 10

"I don't know why you keep coming after me when I am nothing but rude to you all the time."

"Atharva!" Aahana was acting like a petulant child

He ignored her, his eyes solely focused on the laptop screen. He was trying to get some work done, but Aahana was hovering over him like a nuisance.

"Atharva! Atharva! Atharva!"

He felt his patience slowly wear off as she kept chanting his name. "Stop it."

"Fine! Don't go. I don't care," she said, raising her hands in the air in exasperation. "But if dad questions me about you, I'll gladly tell Atharva wasn't interested to attend the party."

He shot a mean glare in her direction, once again setting his eyes on her chin. "You will say he is busy with the workload."

"Yeah? Why would I do that?" She crossed her arms across her chest and leaned back against her chair with a smirk plastered on her face.

"Leave it. I will talk to Dad," he replied, sounding miffed.

"Good." She averted her gaze to the report she had been reading earlier.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a breath of frustration as he phoned his father.

"Is this you, Atharva?"

He rolled his eyes. "Who else will use my number if not me?

"I'm just surprised, son. You rarely call."

"I won't be able to attend Nisha's party. I have an important meeting in the evening."

"Please, son." His father sighed on the other end of the phone. "I know you are very busy, but we are your family. Why do you insist on avoiding us? You have skipped several parties. You never visit home. The least you can do is come to this one with Aahana."

"But Dad, didn't I meet everyone at my wedding reception?" Atharva grumbled. "I am not ignoring you."

"Only for a few hours?"

He could hear the distress in his father's voice, and one thing he didn't like was seeing his loved ones upset. So even when he didn't want to go there, he conceded and called off.

Swallowing hard, he gripped his phone tightly and before he could stop himself, it was on the floor across the cabin, shattered into bits.