g. one

A curious whisper had risen through the school when Monday morning came by and the Gryffindor girl they only noticed a year prior was no where to be seen.

"The Weasley twins and Jordan are good friends of her," Marriette Edgecombe whispered eagerly to Cho Chang, as she watched, terrifyingly reminding a vulture that caught sight of a prey, the Gryffindor table, trying to catch the three with her glare.

"Yes, but they're not here," Cho replied as she watched the same table, for different reasons. Moodier than ever, Harry Potter was sat there, gloomily poking his food.

"I wonder if they came to any class today," Mariette continued, a second year joining the chat. "They must know something."

"Well, it's probably personal, Mariette," Cho attempted. "Hey, how do you think Harry crossed the line?" she wondered, making Mariette dwelve into a ridiculous explanation about how he must have threatened someone to do it, and all the reasons this theory must be the truth.

Cho didn't even bother listening.

She sighed, wondering about whatever truth Harry's word for not doing it himself held, and if she should believe him or not, and after that gave her a headache, her mind went back to what Mariette was discussing with her before.

Profeessor McGonagall, as well as Professor Dumbledore were missing from breakfast and lunch that day, and McGonagall came rushing to their class ten minutes late. Could it have something- anything- to do with Sawyer's disappearance?

It must have, she concluded.

"I have the worst headache," Cho sighed to Mariette, not feeling up to any class she had later, especially a class with Hagrid-- rumor had it he was gonna let the fifth years take care of the dangerous, hideous creatures he's given the fourth years take care of until now. She wished she'd take up Ancient Runes like Mariette, sometimes. "I think I'll drop at the Hospital Wing and ask for some time off."

"Oh," Mariette's face dropped. She was still speaking, Cho realized awkwardly. "Sure, Cho. I'll see you later then."

Cho nodded with a strained smile, standing up and taking her bag as she left the hall.

The door to the Hospital Wing was open, so Cho didn't even think about knocking before she entered, and thus ended up hearing whatever the people in the room were speaking of.

"You feel fine?"

"Yes, Professor," a voice replied, slightly shaky and choked. "I'm alive."

"You may think it's a joke, Miss Wilde, but your heart wasn't beating from five fifty one to five fifty nine!" McGonagall's voice came huffed and angered.

"It's beating now though, isn't it?" she asked, her voice still choked. "Look, I'm fine. I'll go back to my bed, if you'd allow me, and tomorrow's morning I'll be back to classes."

"Sawyer, that's your chance to ditch!" Fred Weasley shamelessly announced.

"Mr. Weasley, please don't push your luck." the woman sighed, turning back to Sawyer, glare hard. "Poppy," she spoke, still looking at the girl. "Could you please contact Mungo and Remus Lupin? I'll personally accompany her--"

"No!" Sawyer called out. "I'm breathing, my heart's beating, and I'm speaking perfectly well! My brain hasn't been hurt, and no other organ as well. I'm fine, and I'm not going to Mungo, and you sure as hell don't need to tell Remus about anything that happened here!"

"Sawyer, maybe it's a good idea to tell Lupin," Lee attempted.  "No need to go to Mungo, I guess, but he's like your dad, isn't he? He deserves knowing."

"Would you all stop?" she huffed, "Madam Pomfrey, you have a new patient, Professor, you should get to class, it starts in two minutes, and I'm sure you three could use the Charms class for you NEWTs."

"I see you don't have any activity assigned to me, Miss Wilde," Dumbledore said, undoubtfully amused as Madam Pomfrey rushed to Cho, who awkwardly pretended she didn't hear anything while wondering how Sawyer could ever notice her through the crowd surrounding her.

"Well, I reckon we should get going, no?" Lee hesitated as he watched the twins, who shrugged. "We'll be back minute's classes are over, Saw."

"Sure guys, be seeing you." she grinned, waving lightly.

"So will I finally be getting the real story of Sawyer Wilde?"

When Sawyer turned back to the headmaster, a shadow passed her face. There was no escaping that place in her mind now. "It's against all of my beliefs, sir," she sighed, looking for the first time he's seen her like a teenager, so broken and angry and having no idea how to deal with the world. "But my mind's open."

As Sawyer was known as an excellent self-taught Legilimens and Occlumens, good enough to dig through a mind Lord Voldemort himself had hard time against, Dumbledore allowed his surprise to show.

But before long, he nodded, sitting down and starting to dig through her mind as she allowed him, blocking doors in his way, a curtain rising over the window that showed Oliver's smile, or Charlie's braids, and most definitely her many pranks with the twins and Lee, and the little agreement with Peeves.

Further and further, door being shut before he could enter, until he stumbled across the first memory in her mind, one that allowed a haunting realization to dawn over him.

"Time of death, five fifty two," he spoke.

Sirius never telling him his daughter was born, never telling the Potters he had a daughter just a year older than Harry...

His daughter was dead.

And Sawyer Wilde, the girl in front of him...

"The fetus hasn't survived."