Chapter 35 | Benefit of the Doubt

35

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"Isabella!" the barista shouts, setting my coffee on the counter. I graciously take it, thanking her, and head out. Today's clinical was physically draining, but the atmosphere made me want to work there even more. Knowing that I could be the one who saves a life is all I want.

If only I could help Miles.

The warm air engulfs me as I step outside. After I had told Addy all that occurred today, I took a walk to clear my head. I changed out of my scrubs, grabbed my purse and a book.

I cut across the street and walk a couple of blocks until I come to the park. Since it's such a nice day, everyone is outside. I amble over to a bench where a little girl and her mother are sitting and perch myself beside them.

The little girl is devouring an ice cream as her mother reads a magazine. She looks up and smiles at me. I smile back and pull out my book.

This is all I need. Alone time, fresh air, coffee, and The Fault in Our Stars.

I open the book and start reading, taking in all the surrounding sounds. It feels good to not think about all the things that aren't going so well in life right now. It's also a pleasant way to detach myself from school and the drama that comes with it.

And Miles.

I'm not sure how much time passes, but when the mother and daughter get up to leave, I notice the magazine that the mother was reading, sitting on the bench. They're already halfway across the park before I shout to let her know she forgot it.

With a sigh, I pick it up and set it with my empty coffee cup. I am about to re-open my book, but I stop and look back over at the cover of it.

My skin goes ice cold. "Holy fuck," I say aloud, staring at my boyfriend's face plastered on the front cover. The headline reads: Miles Cunningham—Is he taking over the family business?

So, this is why he's been going to work with his dad? I feel something horrid pull within me. All the positive feelings I had today disappear. And for once, I don't feel sad; I am full of rage. Not because Miles changed his career, but because I am finding out through a magazine.

I need to get back home.

I need to talk to him.

Tearing my phone from my pocket, I click on his contact to call him. He doesn't answer, which I expected. So, I grab my keys and purse and start back toward my apartment complex, ready to confront him.

I dart up the stairs, and when I reach his floor, I'm out of breath. To my surprise, I see a group of movers hauling boxes down the hallway. I wonder who is moving, but then it hits me.

My feet stop moving when I have a clear view and see where they're coming from.

Miles' apartment door is wide open.

Anger surges through my veins, and I storm towards his apartment. A mover notices me walking towards it and smiles, but his smile falters when he sees me. I push my way inside whilst my heart pulsates.

I look across the room and see a familiar face directing the movers to get items. My emotions are all over the place. How am I going to do this? Am I supposed to be mad, forgiving, or understanding? I have held myself together long enough, I have been distant while he grieves, but this is different.

Suddenly, Miles turns around and our eyes lock. I'm speechless as he stands there staring at me. I feel that familiar pain in my chest that I never wanted to feel again, my heart shattering. He looks like he's been caught for manslaughter.

"Bell," he says, like he's about to explain himself. I swallow hard as he walks towards me.

He looks better than he did the last time I saw him. The color is back in his skin, and his eyes aren't as sunken in.

"I was—" he begins speaking.

"Going to tell me?" I scoff. "That's a pretty original line, not like I haven't heard it before."

"Don't be angry," he pleads.

"What the hell am I supposed to be?"

"Okay," he sighs, closing his eyes. "Come with me," he says, extending his hand for me to take, but I don't. Instead, I fold my arms, gesturing him to walk.

He guides us back into his room, which is empty. I look around in disbelief as he talks. "I was going to explain everything to you, eventually. I just needed to figure it all out first before saying anything."

"You're moving."

"Isab—"

"And I'm finding this out as you move? Holy hell." I walk over towards the window, trying to stay calm, but it doesn't work. "How long have you been back here? Are you avoiding me or something?"

"I just got here not too long ago, I'm not avoiding you." He runs his hands through his hair.

"Miles, I know you're upset from everything that has happened, and you have every right to be. But what happened to us being able to tell each other everything?"

He presses his palms into his eyes with stress. Silence falls between us, and I stand in front of his window, unable to look him in the eyes. I know I'm going to regret the words I'm about to say, but I have to for my sake.

"I have given you the benefit of the doubt for the last week and a half. I have given you your space, I have been there for you when you needed me, and I'm okay with that. But this?" I look around. "I'm not okay with this. You have always had trouble communicating, you jump the gun. You decide for other people when it's not your place."

I finally turn and face him, fighting tears. "I love you, and you know that. But you need to grow up." I bite my cheek to stifle my sadness. "I'm going to continue giving you space. Come find me when you're ready."

He opens his mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

I shake my head as a single tear I couldn't seem to hold in slides down my cheek. I hike my purse over my shoulder, wipe my tear away and speed out of his bedroom.

He doesn't stop me.

━━━─── • ───━━━

QOTD: Who do you picture Bell as?

For me, Adelaide Kane.

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝