Chapter 6

Casper

"Sorry to ruin your plan, but I really don't think you could ever run away."

I look up at Seb who hands me another ice pack. I rest it on my stomach and wince from the burn. "And why's that?"

"I would have to guess that Devin would notice your disappearance." He says, laughing a little.

"No, he wouldn't know," I say, forcing a smile back. Seb laughs again. We both know Devin would notice the second I left if I chose to run away.

"What made you think about running away? It seems so all of a sudden." He says. It's true I guess, I've never really considered actually running away. Sure, I dreamed of leaving this prison, but I knew there wouldn't be a way.

But ever since that girl mentioned it, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

"I don't know. I'm sick of this place." I lie. Well, that's not a lie, I hate this place with my whole being, but I decide not to tell Seb about the girl. He would think of me as the stupidest guy on earth if I told him I didn't kill a blue-eyed, while all I needed was one more to avoid punishment. And I am stupid for not killing her. I kill people everyday. There's been times where very good looking girls try to flirt their way out of death with me, believe it or not. It's never worked. I'll go along with it, but at the end, I'm still a killer.

And a killer kills no matter what.

But it didn't seem like she was attracted to me at all. She was intrigued, and also, not afraid. Honestly I just think she was grateful to see another person. Hell, she would have been an easy kill. She was gullible, and put her trust in me right away.

"You want to leave me? Your best friend who beat you up?" He jokes, but I know something in him feels sad that I'm thinking of leaving this place, which means leaving him.

"Come with," I say, but all he does is shake his head no. "There's nothing for me out there."

That's also true. Brown eyed people are either here, or out there trying not to get here. They live their lives hiding from us, but usually they'll get found eventually. Seb is right. If he went out there, in a matter of time he'd be captured again.

So why do I think I'll be any different?

I'll escape, live out there for a while, then get captured again. Why did the girl, Kellie was her name, offer me to leave like that? She at least has a chance. Blue eyes have the cities to find, where every blue eyed person is free. They are hard to find, since there are only a few, but it's something to search for.

But me? I have nothing.

I doubt blue eyes would let me in the city, even if my eyes are green and not brown. I've been killing their people for years, they hate my guts. I could find my sister, but she wouldn't want to leave her safe place. Who knows if she even thinks of me. She could hate me, for all I know, or maybe she thinks I'm dead.

So why would I leave? It doesn't take me long to answer that question.

"I can't stay here," I look up at Seb, "I can't stand him anymore."

Seb nods. He agrees with me on this one. He knows how badly I want to get away from Devin. He's a constant; humiliating me, tainting, hurting, possessive, I'm in the palm of his hand. I'm like his personal slave, or his punching bag, and there is no in between.

I'm all he has.

"Do it, then." Seb says. And this is where it hits me. I could just do it; give it a try, and take the risk.