/4\

When they arrived at the secure room, Scarlett and Drayce were both chained up and the guards left the room.

"I'm sorry." She said after a few minutes of silence, "That stupid guard." She exclaimed, pretending to be angry. Inwardly, she was satisfied that the plan had gone well, despite her earlier doubts.

Drayce took a labored breath, "It's not your fault. There was nothing you could have done." He encouraged her.

Scarlett sighed. After a moment's pause, she spoke again, "That was amazing what you did back there!" She exclaimed, subtly bringing the topic of his power up.

"Thanks...I-"

He was cut off as the door opened and Clev walked in, along with two burly guards. He smirked and knelt down by Scarlett. "Having fun being in that position? I'm sure it's quite a switch." He chuckled, "Well..." He scratched his chin, "you deserve it. I don't appreciate traitors."

Scarlett glared darkly at Clev, "You had no right to keep him chained up here. You still don't." She spat out and kicked savagely at Clev.

He just stepped back, still smirking, "I don't care what you think, Scarlett. I never did." Without looking away from Scarlett, he called to the other two men, "Show Drayce what happens when he doesn't cooperate, please." He ordered, in a sickly sweet voice.

"No!" Scarlett exclaimed, "Don't hurt him!" She hesitated before adding, "It's my fault. Hurt me instead." She gave Clev a quick, dark glance, conveying that he had better not hurt her.

Clev shook his head, "Do what I said. Now."

"Please..." Scarlett whimpered, giving another quick look.

The guards ignored Scarlett and one stepped forward to face Drayce, grinning cruelly. Without warning, he delivered a hard blow to Drayce's stomach. The other guard pushed him aside and kicked Drayce as hard as he could in the legs, causing the infection to hurt even worse. Before Drayce could recover, the guard also punched him in the face.

Clev chuckled quietly and walked out of the room, closing the door tightly behind him. The guards followed after him, leaving Scarlett and Drayce alone.

"I'm sorry." Scarlett said quietly.

Drayce was so weak, he couldn't even hold his head up. He licked his cracked lips, but didn't answer. Blood dripped down his bruised face and body. Scarlett sighed and slumped in her chains.

A few minutes later, the silence was broken. The door creaked open again and a guard walked in. He walked over to Drayce cautiously and gripped his arm before pushing a syringe beneath the skin. Drayce didn't move, and he barely even felt it as he concentrated on just breathing.

The man pulled the syringe out and left, all without saying a word.

Right away, Drayce felt different. He couldn't describe it, but his body was behaving weirdly.

"Are you okay?" Scarlett asked Drayce.

"What do you think?" Drayce snapped back crossly. He began to tremble uncontrollably, unsure of what was taking place.

"I'm sorry." She apologized, "Do you think it has to do with the thing they injected?"

"I...don't know," he began breathing faster, "I don't know what's happening to me."

She fell silent for a couple minutes before saying, "Drayce, what you did with your power was amazing. How did you become like that?"

Drayce didn't even think through what he was saying, he couldn't for some reason unknown to him. His mouth opened and he realized he had I started speaking, "I...I don't remember much, but it happened at my work. I work at a factory in the city of Marka. I was working late one night and I went to check on the cases of chemicals when I..." He paused to try and recall the memory, "I fell into one of the cases and then woke up in a jail cell. Then Clev's goons came in and brought me here."