/9\

Trying to ignore her whirlwind of thoughts, Scarlett went over to Drayce to check his wound. She unwrapped the bandage, choking slightly as she saw the hole Travis had made.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." She whispered.

Drayce groaned, perhaps even having heard her. His eyes flicked open and they instantly filled with pain.

"It's okay." Scarlett said softly, "Your wound isn't bleeding anymore."

He moaned and began to sit up, clearly not thinking straight. Gently, yet forcefully, Scarlett pushed him back down "Lay down and rest."

He weakly put out his arms and tired to push Scarlett away, "Leave...me...alone." He tried to sit up again, gritting his teeth.

"You need to rest and conserve your strength." Scarlett insisted, pushing him down again.

He was about to argue, but then stopped, looking up at her strangely. "Wait...are you Scarlett?" He tilted his head, trying to understand her change in demeanor.

"Um...yah," she said, confused.

"Why-um...why are you being...civil?" He asked, his head still fuzzy.

After a slight hesitation, she said simply, "I've changed."

Drayce blinked slowly for a moment and then did something unusual. He began laughing. That is, until it hurt too much and he began coughing up blood.

Scarlett clenched her teeth, and grabbed his wrists to chain him back up. He pulled back, ripping the rest of the bandages on his wrists in the process.

"What's the matter...did you change back to your normal self already?" He chuckled, cocking his head tauntingly.

Scarlett took a deep breath, "I just need to chain you back up." She said calmly, and grabbed his wrists again, chaining them. Drayce was too amused and didn't bother to resist. He just smirked at Scarlett the whole time.

"Something funny?" Scarlett asked, as calmly as she could.

"Yes...actually."

"Then enlighten me, what is so amusing?" Scarlett asked, slightly sarcastically.

"Oh, just you, Scarlett." He grinned again, showing off his pearly whites as his old demeanor came back. A demeanor of hope and determination. And sarcasm.

Scarlett realized he was baiting her, and decided to not press the issue, although her curiously was burning. Drayce rolled his eyes momentarily, feeling slightly refreshed. He didn't know where his spur of energy came from, but he relished in it.

The hum of the machinery inside the door spun to life as it opened and Clev stalked in. "What in the world happened?" He demanded.

"Travis almost killed the prisoner." Scarlett said simply.

"Oh really? Because that's not what he told me." Clev retorted. "He said you unchained the prisoner and he took advantage of you and almost escaped. Then Travis shot him to stop him from escaping."

Scarlett sighed internally, "Of course he did." She muttered. In a louder tone she explained, "I broke one of his ribs to teach him a lesson. Then I had to fix it because you didn't want him dead." She was careful not to mention that she didn't want him dead either.

"But why in the world did you unchain him? You saw what he could do!"

"He can't control it!" Scarlett insisted, "And I couldn't fix his ribs if he was still chained up!"

"Then you should have left it alone." He hissed, "Now stand up and leave."

"Hey, relax." Drayce cut in, "None of this was her fault." He defended, not really knowing why he was doing it.

Clev stalked over to Drayce and sneered down at him, "I suggest you be quiet. You are in no position to be acting like that."

"Clev, with all due respect, I would like to stay on watch." Scarlett said carefully.

"I don't care what you would like to do. I thought you could handle him, but apparently I was wrong." He snapped, "So leave. I'll find someone else to watch him."

"I can handle this." Scarlett said angrily, "I was just following your orders to keep him alive!"

"Leave!" Clev roared. "Are you going to disobey my orders?"

Scarlett stood up, "I'm staying here."

Clev's mouth slowly opened and closed in shock. He hesitated, "Wait, what did you say? Are you disobeying my orders?" He snarled.

"I'm staying here. And you can't make me leave." She said deliberately, "If you still want to hold the illusion that you have power, I suggest you leave, and we pretend this didn't happen."

"Are you telling me what to do?" He scoffed, "Yah, I don't think so. But before I fire you, tell me one thing. Why do you want to stay down here with this mutant anyway?"

"He doesn't deserve to be here." Scarlett said, avoiding the question.

Clev practically choked as his jaw dropped. "What?!" He exclaimed, "What in the world has come over you? You were the one who orchestrated the betrayal. Remember?"

"Well, I shouldn't have!" Scarlett exploded.

"Get out. Now. You are fired, Scarlett." Clev growled, his voice low and intimidating.

"No. I'm not leaving unless he goes with me." Scarlett said, eyes narrowed.

"Um, hold on a second. What is going on here?" Drayce asked, interjecting.

Scarlett took a key off her necklace, and before Clev could stop her, unchained Drayce, "Now get us out of here." She muttered to him.

Drayce cringed and put one hand on his stomach when his hands were free. "Excuse me?" He eyed her, "How do you expect me to do that?"

"You aren't going anywhere." Clev said angrily, now holding his pistol right at them.

"Use your stinking power." Scarlett whispered fiercely. She turned to face Clev, "But you told me to leave." She said, a mocking-sweet smile on her face.

Clev just continued to glare at her.

"Hello! I don't know how to use it or I wouldn't be here!" Drayce reminded her, frustration radiating off him in waves.

Scarlett threw a lighter punch at Drayce, "Just do it!" She yelled, trying to get him angry enough to use his power.

He groaned and almost fell over, wobbling unsteadily. "I can't!" He shouted.

"Enough of this." Clev muttered, "Chain him back up, Scarlett." He ordered as he cocked the pistol.

Scarlett tossed the key towards Clev. It clattered near his feet. She shrugged, "I guess I can't now."

Scarlett punched Drayce again, "I know you can!" She yelled, "You are a failure if you can't even do this."

"I am not a failure!" Drayce yelled. Suddenly, a gust of wind shot from his hands and swirled around the room. It happened with such force that it not only knocked Clev and Scarlett down, but Drayce as well.

"Keep using it!" Scarlett gasped, as she scrambled to her feet.

Drayce groaned and rolled to his side, trying to get up unsuccessfully.

Clev, however, swiftly rose and took aim with his pistol. "You brought this upon yourself, Scarlett." He muttered as he pulled the trigger.

A/N

Hey guys! Yep, I haven't forgotten about this story!! Yet...

But seriously. Sorry for the long wait. I honestly actually did forget about updating this story...

However, that is in the past now and I'll try to be better about updating from now on! Thanks for your patience.

Ithildae and Evara

Ithildae - Drayce
Evara - Scarlett