Chapter 18: Did Someone Drop A Globe On My Car?

Trevor sat behind his desk, busily typing away away at his computer. He didn't even seem to notice I had entered his office until the door swung shut behind me. It was a rather loud bang so I'd be concerned if it hadn't broken his stupor.

He looked up at me, grinning ear to ear, "Take a seat Nova, please." He gestured towards to chair in front of him. "There are a few things I'd like to discuss with you so this would work better if you were seated."

"Of course." I slid into the chair and sat as straight as I could.

"I have a confession to make. I kinda wanted you to be our newspaper's, Lois Lane." Trevor said, "I thought you'd lead us to the supers, that's why I assigned you to the Mayor's Ball with Harry. I already knew he was an amazing photographer and I honestly thought you'd be taken off and lead him to the kind of photos you took last night.

Excuse me?

"I can say without a doubt that I never expected this." Trevor admitted, "You were good for your age, I'll admit I noticed that much from the portfolio you submitted, but I never expected this level of talent and pure luck. With your little penchant for attracting all sorts of super, I thought you'd lead my more experienced photographers to photos no one else could come close to capturing but I never expected this from some little high school girl."

I didn't whether to be flattered or offended, so I chose both. "I'm not someone to be underestimated and I suggest next time you don't open with telling me you wanted me to some little damsel in distress. Stick to a Spiderman analogy, much less offensive."

Trevor shrugged, "I'm being honest, I believe honesty is the best policy. That doesn't mean I'm not glad you proved me wrong. These caliber of photos are what I expect from Harry or one of my other photographers, not some little girl with no experience. You should be flattered. "

Was he for real? I get that I'm just a high school student but this conversation was completely sexist. I have no doubt if I were a guy he'd use a Spiderman analogy. He'd call me a real Peter Parker and tell me he was happy he'd chosen a fine fella like me to work under him or something stupid like that.

How dare he, I mean really?

Now I'm embarrassed I looked up to this guy. Here he is casually explaining to me that he hired me not because he saw an impressive portfolio but because he thought that I'd provide an inside scoop to some superhero-supervillain action. He even called me a 'little girl with no experience' and told me to be flattered that he was praising me at all.

Why would he admit that out loud? That's the sort of thing you keep to yourself, that you think but never admit to. I am still in shock he had the gall to admit that to me. I completely understand that he would underestimate me seeing as I'm a high school intern and I still have a long way to go, my problem is that he called me into his office to tell me that.

"That's all." Trevor looked back down at his computer, "Can you call Harry in and get me a latte from Johnson's down the street, ask the rest of the photographer's as well what they want you to get them. Michelle should know my order and have the company card for you so explain it to her. I imagine the rest of the staff will have enough work for you to keep busy when you get back..."

"I'm not supposed to be here today," I interjected rather harshly. I rushed here because Trevor asked me to come in, and not only does he insult me, he expects me to work.

"...I know Fran needs someone to check on the people in some of the photos for the Talk of the Town..."

"Did you just hear me?" The door creaked open, but I ignored it because I imagined that it would only be Harry checking in on us. "That's it, I'm leaving. Working here is not worth putting up with you sexist ass. To think, I looked up to you and thought of you as my hero, someone I strived to become."