Chapter Seven

I'm sorry for the wait everyone! Uni has started here and it has been so hard finding the time to sit down and write.
This chapter isn't super amazing or exciting, but it is necessary. Hope you enjoy <3
Xx Divine romance
~~~

What have I done?

Suzanna and Duke Wilson said farewell for the day, the Duke exultant and Suzanna overwhelmed with panic and anxiety. She had just agreed to marry the Duke. She was betrothed. She was bonded to him, promised to him.

She felt shocked, surprised by her own decision.

No, no, no. I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready.

It had come out of nowhere, the sudden decision to accept him. One word and she had decided her future. Uncertainty flittered throughout her. She had to get out and clear her head. With that thought, she fled the room.

~

Samuel waved as his sister said goodbye and walked away. She had decided to visit him when she had been at the markets. Samuel smiled and began walking in the direction of the knights' training area.

His heart skipped a beat when he noticed Princess Suzanna leaving the castle, her hands clenched by her side as she nearly ran.

"Princess Suzanna!" he called without thinking. He picked up his pace and ran up to her side. Suzanna turned around and looked up at him. Her eyes were wide and wild; her face was pale. "Are you well?" Samuel asked, concerned by her appearance.

"Oh, yes... I am," she replied, but even she seemed unsure of her own words.

"Where are you off to?"

"To... clear my head," she responded vaguely. "Excuse me." She quickly began to dash away from him. Samuel stared after her, confused, then sprinted to her side once again.

"Su-Princess Suzanna, wait, what is wrong?"

"I-I accepted Duke Wilson's proposal," she stuttered, seeming not to believe her own words.

Samuel's heart dropped right to his stomach.

"You are betrothed?" he asked.

"Yes, betrothed," Suzanna responded. She watched him warily. Samuel clenched his teeth together, mixed emotions of anger, disappointment, and hopelessness floating through him.

"You are to be married?" He could not seem to process or believe the news. He stared at the Princess, the beautiful Princess, and clenched his fists tightly until his nails dug into his skin.

"Yes. Samuel, are you okay?" Suzanna asked gently.

"But... but why? I thought you were unsure about him. You can't marry him!" Samuel cried out. Suzanna blinked and frowned, crossing her arms. Before she could begin lecturing him, Samuel continued. "What about your family? You will have to leave them! You could just stay here, with... with your siblings. Or-"

"Samuel! Where is this coming from?" Suzanna asked angrily.

"I do not think you should marry the Duke!"

"It is too late! We are betrothed, you cannot change that," she answered. Samuel huffed out a breath and glared at a nearby tree. Why now? Why did Duke Wilson have to ruin everything just as he was starting to befriend Suzanna?

"Fine," Samuel muttered.

"Why are you angry?" Suzanna cried.

"B-because I... never mind. I must go, goodbye," he sighed. Suzanna reached out and pulled on his arm, bringing him to a halt before he could take two steps.