dark black magic: chapter 31: the meeting

Skyler POV

My body felt light and airy like it wasn't real. The last thing I remembered was a terrible pain my leg followed by weakness. What had happened to me? I was laid in a field full of flowers, sunshine and bird song.

"Does it hurt?" A female voice asked.

I sat up and saw a pregnant woman standing before me in deep crimson gown.

"Who are you?" I asked curiously wondering how on earth I had got here.

"Aidan entrusted you with a very special item." She said softly ignoring my questions.

The memory flooded back. Aidan had driven me to the out skirts of town and gave me a leather strap that gave its wearer the power to turn into a werewolf. Aidan gave it to me to destroy it but I had dropped it. It tumbled down a muddy embankment and I ran after it and stumbled across Stephanie on the verge of death. I forgot all about it. I never picked it up.

"I forgot to pick it up." I said horrified with myself.

"And I found it." The woman replied the edge of her mouth tugging up into a cruel smile.

"What did you do with it?" I asked.

The woman didn't reply she looked away smiling to herself. I repeated the question but she did not answer. Instead she picked up the hem of her crimson gown and walked away from me gently wrapping her arms around her bump.

"The child that grows inside of me has been prophesized to end the age of the humans. Unfortunately you Skyler has been prophesized to stop him. I can't let you do that."

"So why not kill me now?"

"Do you know who you are? Your heritage?"

"No. My parents abandoned me when I was young, my mother didn't even know who my father was."

"Grandma has been telling you lies. Your mother was a fantastic witch. Favoured and adored by the Gods themselves and loved by one God in particular. Your mother eloped with a God, she fell in love with Death and had fraternal twins. You are one of those twins Skyler. Your brother remained in the afterlife to become a Prince while your mother gave you to the world. She probably foresaw my son's uprising and sent you to stop it. Clever little witch. So do you understand why I couldn't just kill you upfront. Your father is Death. I couldn't touch you. But then something extraordinary happened. Matthias your brother was bitten by a vampire and suddenly Death disowned his own son. So I figured if you turned into a vampire Death would disown you too. My poor child you have no idea the lengths I have gone to ensure your downfall. My plan is still incomplete but I soon the next stage of the plan will be revealed and you will learn there is a betrayer in your company. I know this is a lot to take in but in a few moments the pain of your transformation will kick in."

Hot white pain seared through my body, I screamed out in agnony.

"I was hoping the transformation would hurt you, Skyler. I want you too hurt so badly. You're turning into a vampire. Poor little baby. The girl nobody wanted except dear old Grandma. I saw your Grandmother last night. Did you manage to read her postcard before you were kidnapped? I suppose you did. The wedding was today. Pity she didn't live to see her reception."

Tears ran down my face, I couldn't even breathe. I stared helplessly up at this strange woman who smiled,

"She was killed in tragic accident. Mauled to death by an animal. You should have taken better care of that wolf strap." She sighed.

I rolled over in pain. I cried out to Rayne. Was this real or a trick. The woman grabbed my hand and forced an item in to it.

"If you don't believe me, believe this." She said looking down at the object. My body was convulsing. The sunshine was burning my eyes. I couldn't breathe. Darkness eroded the picture perfect set and the pain ebbed away. Was my Grandma really dead?

Stephanie POV

The old mill loomed ahead. Rudolph stopped the car.

"You're on your own now." He said casually leaning back into the driver's seat. My eyes widen and my mouth gawped open.

"Are you shitting me?" I snapped.

"What a peculiar expression, but no I am not 'shitting you'. Someone somewhere in that building is wearing a talisman that prevents demons from coming near them. So even if I wanted to come in there with you I couldn't."

"So how the hell am I going to rescue to Skyler."

"You have a unique power so to speak. Go and discover it." Rudolph said drearily. I can't believe I slept with this loser. I raised a disbelieving eye brow and exited the car. Great how the hell was I suppose to rescue Skyler. I had no guns or special ninja training or magical powers that could help me. All I had was my own two hands. I walked to the old mill and studied the building trying to think what a spy would do in one of those action movies. I moved around the building and found a staircase. I headed towards the staircase but almost screamed as the bushes nearby rustled and a young man really good looking guy stepped out. Stunned I stared at him- was he one of the kidnappers?

He smiled at me and in a goofy voice said, "Hi, I'm Aidan."

"Hi Aidan," I said unenthusiastically. "Um I'm a forest park ranger and this is a restricted zone you have to leave here now."

"You're eyes are pretty." he smiled.

I blinked at him. What the hell was wrong with this dude? Aidan took a few steps towards me, "I'm really glad you came here, I've been watching you staring out your bedroom window at night. You were always so sad."

Oh my god, he's a pervert stalker- a good looking pervert but a stalker never the less. Putting my hands on my hips I said firmly, "Aidan you are going to have to leave immediately. That is a super special forest ranger command that has to be obeyed."

"I can't leave you like this." he protested.

"Yes you can."

"But I have been waiting for this moment all my life."

"Are you taking the piss?" I snapped.

"No. I know this is hard but I need you to understand that I am the only one for your. I knew that the first moment we met. I'm so happy I finally get to meet you." His eyes were like a puppy dog's.

"Love at first sight is corny idea made up for valentines day."

"Wolves know who their other half is the moment they lay eyes on them. I knew Skyler would help you get better."

"You know Skyler?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Can you help me?"

"Anything you want, just tell me and I will give up my life for you."

"Help me rescue Skyler."

"Sure! No problem. Wait here I'll get my pack."

I watched in amazement as Aidan turned into a wolf and sprinted into the forest. When he said wolf I thought he was some kinda of freak with an identity crisis but I guess he really was a wolf like Rudolph really was a vampire. Just at that moment Rudolph appeared at my side.

"See, that boy is your magical power." Rudolph said.

"I don't understand." I said.

"That is the alpha male of a pack of werewolves. He has identified you as his one and only mate and will protect you until his last breathe."

"No way! But I never laid eyes on him before."

"You don't need to meet. A simply glance is all it takes."

"So you are telling me that Aidan is my soul mate?" I said sceptically.

"Yes- so better not tell him about me popping your cherry."

"Do you have to be that crude and it's not like Aidan is my boyfriend." I snapped feeling disgusted with myself.

"Whatever- just tell him when I am not in the vicinity."

I rolled my eyes and watched Rudolph slink off back to his car.