Chapter 10

I awake the next morning to another text sent from Jane, saying that she has a fever and is coming down with the flu. I immediately get out of bed and demand to my parents that we go to Jane today. In the early afternoon, Dad and I make our way to South London by car.

After driving endlessly through the traffic ridden city, we spot the house. As we drive up the vast driveway and across the miniature car park, our mouths drop in amazement. The house is spectacular; it is huge and old fashioned with growing flowers covering certain areas.

Upon warning of our arrival, Charles answers the door and welcomes us inside.

"Eliza," he nods before adding, "Mr Bennett, a pleasure to meet you," he shakes his hand.

"And you," my father smiles. "We apologise for any inconvenience, how is my daughter?"

"She has gotten worse recently, I think it's best if she stays here at least for tonight as she may suffer through the long car journey." I smile to myself, as his concern for Jane is very genuine and cute.

My father looks pained. "Only if that is fine with you, we do not wish to be a burden."

"No, not at all," Charles reassures. "I apologise for you both having to journey out here today without being able to bring her home. Do you want to see her now?"

Yes please," we both reply.

Charles leads us up to her room and leaves us alone, closing the door to give us privacy.

I sit on the edge of her bed and dad sits on the chair beside it, as we try our best to comfort her in any way we can. She soon falls asleep, so we retreat downstairs.

We intend to leave, however Charles invites us to stay for a refreshment. He brings us to the main dining room and we sit at the end of its large table, as the maid carries in trays containing tea and coffee, scones and biscuits.

I however, am more interested in looking around the room, as I take in the elegant furnishings.

"You have a beautiful house, Charles," I compliment.

"Thank you, Eliza. I love our new house, but there's something special about being in the city," he beams.

"I agree."

We make pleasant conversation and Charles and my father get along very well. They converse in detail, the subjects ranging from tennis to the economy.

Later we are suddenly interrupted as a familiar figure dressed in mainly all black enters the room, with a signature scowl present on his face. When he turns his attention to me for a brief moment, I put down my cup that I was holding to my mouth in surprise.

He looks taken aback by our presence and turns to Charles, without addressing us. 

"I left something in here, don't mind me," he adds while walking towards the corner of the room.

I can feel his direct gaze watching me as he walks back across the room, which I ignore. I can think of no reason why, except for the fact that he is probably judging my clothing and appearance.

"Eliza," Charles says, removing me from my daydream. "I was just thinking if you wanted to stay the night here, I'm sure your sister would feel more comforted."

"Yes that is a good idea, thank you. I'll be able to look after her," I unwillingly agree, trying to ignore the feelings of uneasiness rising within me.

After a while, we both escort my father out of the house. As he takes his leave, I feel nervous and want nothing more than to go home.

Once Charles closes the door, I am greeted by his sister Caroline who plasters on a fake expression. I feel slightly uncomfortable in her presence, only for the reason that I am now in their house and alone, without counting a sick Jane.

Just at that moment, William walks in, his eyes fixed on my frame. He looks troubled, yet arrogant as he says in his deep voice, "Hello, Eliza."