Chapter 8

Chapter 8

       Nova was over at my house so we could work on our project together, but it was kind of difficult with Mom at work and Xavier always wanting to be where we were. Normally, he was fine coloring in the office but now, he just had to be in the living room with us.

       That wasn't all he would do. He told me he was hungry, so I got him a snack. Then he told me he wanted to color in the living room, so I had to get his coloring book and crayons and bring them here. Then he told me he was tried, but he didn't want to go for a nap.

       Then finally, he tried bringing my guitar over and asked if I could sing him a song.

       I sighed and was about to tell him I couldn't, but Nova said, "It's fine. I wanted to take a break anyway and it might make him settle down after a while."

       "Yeah, that's true," I said before getting up and grabbing my guitar. Xavier smiled happily as I went back to the couch and sat down. I perched the guitar on my lap and began strumming to one of Xavier's favorite songs.

       While I was singing and playing the guitar, Xavier began dancing around and trying to sing along, but he still couldn't form too many words.

        Halfway through the song, there was a knock on the door, so I had to stop playing the guitar. "Aww...." Xavier said. "I want song...."

       "I'll be right back," I said. "And then I'll play another song, okay?"

       "Okay!"

       I leaned my guitar against the couch before getting up from the couch and heading over to the front door. As soon as I opened it, I was about to close it but Jolie stuck her foot in the way.

       "How did you find out where I live?" I asked. 

       "I have my ways," Jolie said, crossing her arms over my chest. "I want to see Xavier."

       "Ha ha, no," I said. 

       "He's my son, Hudson," she said. "You can't stop me from seeing him."

        "I'm not," I said. "You're the one that's stopping you from seeing him. I got full custody of him after you left and didn't want to be involved in his life at all. You can't just think you can come back into his life. And more importantly, you can't just think you'll be granted full custody."

       "Like I said, a little boy needs a motherly figure in his life," Jolie said.

       "Yeah, and he has one that is way better than you," I said. "He needs one who is kind and helpful and makes him smile. Not one who would rather go partying than take care of her own son."

        "That was the old me," Jolie said.

        "It shouldn't have been the old you," I said. "You were a mom and you still went partying and expected me to do all the work."

        "I was only fifteen," Jolie said. "You can't expect me to drop everything for him."

        "Are you kidding me?" I asked. "I did. I dropped everything for him and for you and I was fifteen. I still drop everything for him, so no, you're not going to see him."

        "Fine," Jolie said. "I will get to see him when I get full custody of him."

        "You think you will?" I asked. "Who do you think they're going to choose? Someone who went out partying, didn't really help raise him, and disappeared for two and a half years with no contact whatsoever, or someone who put Xavier first?"

       "Obviously his mom."

        "Wow, you must really be that small-minded if you think they'd rather pick someone like you over someone like me."

       Jolie was going to say something else, but she was cut off by a tiny voice behind me. "Daddy?" I looked over to see Xavier standing there. "I want a song please."

       "Yeah, I know, I'll be there soon," I said. 

       I was hoping Xavier went back to the living room, but he was too friendly of a little kid to completely ignore the person standing at the front door. "Hi, I Xavier!"

       "Xavier, please go back to the living room," I said. "How about you go show Nova your dinosaur drawing?"

       "Okay!" He then quickly went to the living room, thankfully.

       "Oh my gosh," Jolie said. "He's so adorable. He looks a lot like you."

       "Yeah, I know," I said. "After all, I see him every single day of my life since I actually want to be in his life."

       "I do," Jolie said.

       "Sorry, but you're going to have to fight me for his custody," I said. "I'll see you at school." Before Jolie could even react, I closed the door and locked it. I sighed before heading back to the living room and sitting on the couch.

       "Who was that?" Nova asked.

       "The girl I never want to see but keeps finding her way back into my life," I said.

       "Oh," Nova said. "What did she want?"

       "The same old," I said. "To see....you know who. Anyway, I better start playing a song before Xavier gets mad at me."

        I picked up my guitar, and Nova rested her hand on my shoulder. "If you ever need any help, I'll be here for you," she said. "You're the most bearable human ever."

       I smiled. "I know. And thank you."

________________

I'm watching a movie that had the actor I chose for Hudson, so all I'm seeing is Hudson. cx 

Seriously though, the sass in the movie is the same amount of sass I live by and I love it.