t w e n t y - s i x

Lisa's Point of View

"D-did I hear you right? The Don actually protected you from the bullets?" I meekly nod to Esme who is too stunned from my inscrutable revelation.

I chuckle from amusement when I see Esme opens and closes her mouth still trying to find a word to comprehend the situation.

"Wow." She whispers. I raise a brow when she finally sets for a one syllable reply which simply means she haven't managed to find a word to express the Don's sudden heroic approach. Well, I do share the same feeling.

After the incident, I was put into an induced coma for a week. Not only because I lost a huge amount of blood but also the bullet that entered my system had poison in it. Therefore, it is very obvious that the enemy's intention is to definitely kill the Don, I mean obviously the bullet is not for me. I just happened to be standing near him and ofcourse luck is not my friend. My skin shivers everytime I think about it.

I heard that the Don is completely fine since he was attended immediately by the paramedics, removing the poison quickly out of his system. I really thought it was really worst for him since the last I remember is him gruefully covered with blood along his chest. But funny, it was me who got it worst. I mean I almost died.

I don't know how to look at this situation. I should be furious that he placed me again to a dangerous situation but also I can't unsee the fact that he tried to save me.

The thought of it brings a touch of warmth to my chest pulling a smile to my face.

I look back to Esme whose face is now then pulled into a frown.

"Have you seen the Don?" I inquire pulling her from her deep thoughts.

"Yes, I have." She replies.

"D-did he tried to visit me when I was out?" I ask with a tiny hope that he somehow did.

"I don't know." She replies with an edge in her tone.

"Oh."

"Anyway, I need to go before Marcus bites my head off. He only gave me a few minutes to visit you." Esme smiles at me but the slight dimness of her eyes didn't went unnoticed by me.

"Okay. I appreciate this so much..your visit.." But my words must not have reached her ears since she already walked away not waiting for my reply. What's gotten into her? Her sudden change of mood addens more weight to my baggage of worries. Did I say something to offend her? I try to rack my brain to replay our conversation but to no avail I can't find anything that can be offensive to her.

The day goes on without me leaving my room, 'strict doctor's order' according to Esme but I have a hunch that it is more likely it came from the Don. My mind is still in slight worry about Esme but I push my head to stop worrying since I plan to confront her soon.

It's already mid afternoon when Dorothy enters my room for a visit. A motherly smile welcomes me which somehow put an ease to my worry.

"You're doing so well now I see." She beams.

"They will finally remove the bandage later, I don't see the point of being locked inside my room though. I'm strong as a bull now." I sigh when I notice her disapproving look.

"Now, now only the Doctor can know that for sure. Stop being stubborn." She reprimands as I make a pout.  My curiosity about the Don rises again since Dorothy is his most trusted servant so I take this chance to ask her.

"H-how's the Don?" I inquire her meekly, unsure of how Dorothy will take my interest of the Don's well being.

"Oh he's well like nothing happened to him." She smiles. Somehow knowing he's fine puts some of my worries to ease.