3

Later that afternoon, Mhera and Koreti sat in Esaria's chambers. Koreti, who had a closer bond with his mother than his two elder brothers, would often share lunch with the empress. Mhera, whose own parents were often away from the palace, would always tag along. She enjoyed whiling her time away in the empress' chambers, where there was never a lack of something interesting to do. Esaria had a vast collection of books, many of which had wonderful illustrations, and an impressive collection of game sets.

They had finished their lunch—well, the children had. Esaria had not eaten much. Mhera thought she looked a little unwell.

Koreti was lying on his stomach on the rug, reading a book. Mhera was setting up the pins along a checkered board for a game of cross-the-sea. Esaria sat across the room at her window, her chin resting on her hand as she gazed out into the Imperial Gardens.

"Would you like to play, Aunt?" Mhera asked.

Esaria glanced her way with a wan smile. "No, child. I'm tired. Koreti will play."

The prince closed his book and pushed it aside. He sat up cross-legged on the floor. "Red or white?"

"Red," Mhera said.

"Alright. Go on."

As they played, Mhera stole surreptitious glances at her aunt. Because the only other constant example of womanhood in her life was her aged governess, Mhera looked to Esaria as the example of the lady she would be when she grew up: a woman in sumptuous dresses with gems at her throat and servants at her right hand. On those afternoons, she would gaze at the empress and imagine herself as she wished to be someday.

What made Esaria seem so regal to Mhera was her perfect aloofness. Esaria seemed unaffected by the world. Although the empress was always ready with a soft word or a smile, nothing moved her overmuch; it was as if Esaria's mind was somewhere far away most of the time. And so, while Mhera loved her aunt, she never felt especially close to her. There was always a distance that could not be bridged, as if Esaria were separated from the world by a gauzy veil.

"Ha!" Mhera clicked a piece down onto the polished wooden board in triumph. "I've crossed!"

Koreti leaned in close to the board, his brows knit as he studied the placement of the pieces. "Hm. You're getting better. Fairly won, Mher. Want to play again?"

Mhera nodded her head, and Koreti began to set up the board again. While he did, she glanced over to the empress. Esaria had one hand resting on the back of her neck, as if her head ached. "Aunt? Are you well?"

"Hm?" Esaria turned to look at Mhera, sitting up straight and lifting both hands to smooth her coiffure. "Of course I am, dear girl. Only tired. In fact, I think I shall lie down. Jassa?"

The empress' handmaiden, who had been sitting out of the way in the corner of the room, was at her side in a moment. "Your Grace?"

"Please go and tell His Grace that I shall not attend supper tonight. As you go, see that Lady Mhera is returned to the care of her governess."

Diverted from a second game, the children began to pack up the pieces instead. Mhera slid the playing board into place as a lid for the clever box. As Koreti picked up the game set and took it to the shelf, Mhera went over to her aunt.

She leaned in to kiss the woman on the cheek. "I hope you feel better soon, Your Grace."

Esaria's smile was faint. "You are sweet, child. Go on. I'll lie down. Koreti, I'm certain you're wanted by your riding master by now. I saw Koren and Kaori crossing the yard just a moment ago. You'll be tardy."