Chapter 86

Zack walks back over to the mantle and turns to face me, "You know..." he pauses, squinting his eyes like he's deep in thought, "If we, I mean, you, determine that Zull is still controlling Uncle John, we just might be able to get some valuable information out of him."

"What do you mean?"

"Like, finding out what these Demons are up to."

"Isn't that pretty clear?" I quickly get out. "They're after me."

Zack scratches behind his neck and leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees, "True, but if we could get Zull to talk," he locks eyes with me, "About what they know concerning you or Skylar, and how they're planning their strategies..."

"You think Demons care about strategies?" I interrupt.

"I'm pretty sure they're capable of a lot more than you think—including planning a some kind of attack."

My stomach drops because the first person I think of is Dominic, and how this would most likely involve him. Hell, he'd be the one leading the Warriors straight into battle.

"Theoretically, of course." Zack finishes his thought.

"Okay, I mean, yeah, it would be good to know if they're planning something like this. Especially if it can help Skylar."

"That's just it, Katie. Staying one step ahead of the Demons is imperative." he stops and takes in a deep breath, "as much as humanly possible anyway. And getting inside the head of one of the most evil Demons out there, could be a huge advantage for us."

Suddenly, a slow creak from the other side of the room echoes off the stone walls and Zack and I instantly whip our heads toward the door. I see his black cloak before I see his face, whipping around his body like a second skin—and it's almost embarrassing that I'm fan-girling over him like he's a hot, rock star.

"Excellent, I'm glad you're here." Zack says to Dominic, gesturing him to join us. Dominic looks at me and then back to Zack like he's confused. "Come, sit down."

Until now, I didn't realize how intense our mental bond was because suddenly, I can feel Dominic's urgency. It's practically oozing from his pours—something's definitely up.

"What?" I ask without thinking and Dominic locks eyes with me.

"The situation with Skylar is worse than we thought," he stops and looks over to Zack.

"What do you mean, 'worse than we thought?'" Zack interrupts, pushing his brows together.

Dominic looks back to me, "Apparently, the Demons have been following Skylar since he came to the cemetery to find you. Of course, he now has no recollection of it, but unfortunately, he left a trail for them."

"What, now the Demons are bloodhounds?" I say, hoping my sarcasm is just that.  

"Wait," Zack interjects, ignoring my last comment, "How did you find out?"

"Two days ago, the Council decided to watch Skylar, so they sent a guard to evaluate the situation," Dominic says looking back to me, "To make sure there were no further complications concerning him or the Demons."

"I see." Zack chimes in. "That's why they wanted to assign Gideon as his Warrior."

"Precisely. Although, while I was preparing Gideon for his duties, the guard returned, informing us that there are several Demons surrounding Skylar's house."

"How many?" my brother quickly asks.

"Three, but there could be more." Dominic answers and I instantly know what that means. He'll have to go and fight—and if my heart could make noise, they both would have heard a loud drop. Not only is the man I love in danger but my best friend is too. And it's all because of me.

"We may need to speak to the Council again and request permission to assign more Warriors." Dominic says, and I instantly perk up.

"Wait, does that mean you won't have to go?"

Dominic closes his eyes and immediately, I feel like I want to throw up. He's the best Warrior the Realm has, of course he'll be there.

"I'm sorry, my love," he kneels down before me, reaching for my hands, "Even if I had a choice I would still choose to fight."