DISTRACTIONS

Chapter 3

Caden was angry with everyone and mostly himself. He gave Cole  permission to let her stay in the pack. He didn’t want complications and he knew with a mate involved, it was bound to happen. His wolf was snarling at him and pushing him to go to his mate but Cade was stubborn too. How was he supposed to love his mate when he was already in love with another? He was trying his best to find Maia and her child. He had an intuition that she was pregnant but every time he thought about this his wolf would growl opposing the idea. His wolf was adamant on not accepting another female as his mate but his human was already in love with someone else other than his mate.

It had been whole week since Annie entered the pack. Slowly she mingled with everyone. Nobody knew who she was; they just accepted her because Cole was protecting her like she was his family. Cole was assigned with the task of finding Maia and now Annie was helping him.

Every time she would try to decipher his information, he felt her despair. She was helping in finding her mate’s happiness. That’s what you do when you love someone unconditionally, right? You would even kill yourself for that someone and she believed in such love. Her love was selfless, kind and without any demand. Maybe, maybe there was one wish, one motive that her mate would at least acknowledge her but Cade never did.

He would always ignore her whenever she was around. He would stop eating if he came to know that the food was made by his unwanted mate even though other pack members loved it when she cooked for them. She was growing on everyone’s heart and deep down somewhere Cade knew his heart was one of them. He watched her from afar when she would help people from the pack, play with children and sometimes laugh with Cole. He would feel jealousy every time she was near his beta but the stubborn alpha never cracked.

Initially, Charlotte had given him hell, threatening him to inform his mother about what he was doing but then suddenly she stopped. Cade was confused with this behavior.

But he didn’t know one thing that Annie talked her out of it. They became good friends. Even if her mate rejected her, a part of Annie was happy to have people who treated her equal, like she mattered.

“Annie!” Charlotte entered Cole’s office looking for Annie and sure she was there with him where Cole was standing like he was shocked with some discovery while Annie had small sad smile on her plum lips.

“What’s going on?” Char walked inside.

“Maybe we found her. We found Maia!” Cole whispered.

Char’s eyes went wide as she looked at Annie. Annie’s heart clenched not because her mate was free to reject her but because her time was up and now she had to leave the place.

Cole left the room, probably to inform his alpha, after all his alpha meant everything to him. His pack had always showed so much respect towards their old Alpha and Luna, he was supposed to follow the legacy.

Char slowly walked towards Annie and put her hand on her shoulder,

“Why?” Char whispered, “Why are you doing this?” A small tear left her eye.

Annie gave her a watery smile, “he deserves to be happy.”

“What about you? What will happen to you now?” Char was not ready to let her friend go.

It was hurting her to see Annie sad. She had heard Annie’s cries due to pain in the night. She knew Annie was so much in pain but she couldn’t help her.

“I will leave. I have to. You will be okay.” Annie hugged her letting out her warm tears. Char sobbed in her embrace. It was heartbreaking; the pain was too much to endure.

They both fell asleep in Cole’s office due to exhaustion and crying. But Annie woke up when Cole entered looking frantic.

“Annie.” He cupped her face, his hands were trembling and eyes had fear present in them.

“What happened, Cole?” she whispered knowing whatever he wanted to tell her wasn’t good.

“They found you. Alpha Ryan is sending few people to get you.”

Annie’s breath hitched in her throat as she gazed up at Cole with tears falling from her eyes.

“IS…Is Alpha Caden…?” She couldn’t even finish her sentence but Cole nodded,

“He… He agreed to hand you over.”

Annie closed her eyes tightly, sobs wanted to burst out of her. What was she thinking? That maybe Alpha Caden would like to hear her side of story? Maybe he would let her stay?

“But we have 2 days till he comes here and I have a plan. I want you to stay here with char. Please don’t do anything just stay here. I need to go somewhere.” Cole said.

Annie’s eyes furrowed as she looked up at him.

“Where are you going?”

“Just do as I’m saying, Ann. I will find a way, I promise.” he kissed her forehead and left the office hastily.

Annie was shaken as she sat down on the chair. Maybe the end was near. Maybe it was bound to happen.

Next day everything was different. Pack members were talking in hushed voices about an old pack member coming back. Maia, Caden’s Maia was coming back with a baby boy. Cade was happy but a part of him was hollow like he wasn’t really feeling the happiness to his bones. Was it because of the girl who was living under his roof? When Alpha Ryan called, his wolf growled but the human was happy to get rid of a murderer. He believed everything that Alpha Ryan said. Why would someone run away from their own pack? Of course she did something horrible and came here; he was convinced. He was sure of one thing that he wanted his unwanted, murderer mate to leave him alone.

------------------------------------------

I know it's short and moving fast but I wanted it to be this way. Next chapter will be up soon!

Thank you frasermagoo for comments. <3

Thank you! :)