one // the memory

WE DRIVE DOWN THE DESERTED road in no rush to get home. With a smile on my face, I look up at my boyfriend of two years, who smiles back at me with warm, soft eyes. In that moment, I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with him. When we first started dating, I honestly didn't really like him, but as I look into his eyes now, I know that there's nobody else for me. He looks at the long, straight road ahead for a couple of seconds, before his eyes flicker back to me. His vibrant blue eyes seem to sparkle, like they are made of diamonds. I could never dream of anyone who is more perfect than him.

"Ridley, this is really hard for me to say. I know that it shouldn't be, but...it is." I gawk at him, keeping my expression unreadable. Is he breaking up with me? "I love you," he tells me sweetly, and I swear I can feel my heart do a little flutter at his words. We had taken our relationship slow, so this is a big step for us. How could I deserve someone as amazing as him? At the start of our relationship, I thought that we wouldn't last, he is after all the captain of the football team, but he isn't the asshole I expected him to be, he turned out to be sweet and even a little shy. He makes me feel like I have a reason to exist, and sometimes I feel like I don't deserve to be with him.

"I love you too, Chace." The way his face lights up as I say those words is something that I'll never forget, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I look at the road ahead, and at first I thought I was seeing things, that my mind is playing tricks on me, as driving in the middle of the road, with no intentions of slowing down, iss a car. Chace is still looking at me when I tap his harm multiple times, pointing to the road and screaming "Chace! Look out!"

He sees what I am fearing, and with wide eyes slams his foot onto the breaks, the tires squealing and screeching as he did so. But the car is moving too fast for it to stop, and so he swerves the car out of the way, barely missing the other as the car spun around, sounding like it's crying. I did not expect what was coming next.

The car topples over and begins to tumble on the road, as if it wants to roll instead of drive. The loud crunch of the metal pierces my ears, and I am certain that we are going to die. As soon as the car comes off of the road and hits lower ground with a crash and a bang, I begin to say good bye, and searched around me blindly for Chace's hand, grabbing it once I find it. I squeeze it as tight as I can manage, and close my eyes. I hope and pray that we will survive somehow, that a little luck will be on our side. But I have this terrible, gut-wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach that one of us, if not both of us will not survive this. Either way, we both lose. If he dies, I lose him, if I die, he loses me, if we both die, we'll both miss out on our future.

It seems to take forever for the car to come to a halt, and, much to my surprise, I am still alive, though only barely. I turn my head weakly to my left, my eyes opening slightly, not by much, but enough for me to see something that will surely haunt me for the rest of my life. There, hunched over in an uncomfortable looking position, covered in wet red blood, is Chace. Dead.

-

"Miss Pearce?" Mr. Micro calls in annoyance, his thick, fuzzy eyebrows pulling up into a scowl. He obviously asked me a question, a question which I did not hear. "What is Systolic Blood Pressure?" I look around the classroom in hope of finding the answer, but when no help comes, I have to rack my brain for it.

"It's uh...it's the pressure when...when blood is being pumped out of the heart?" It comes out as a question, and I am afraid that I got the answer wrong.

He just looks at me dead in the eye, and I cringe into my seat under his intense gaze. I felt so small as he hovers above me, his closeness making me feel slightly claustrophobic. "Well, I see at least some of my teaching is rubbing off on you," he says, giving me one last glare before slowly walking away and continuing with the lesson.