6 - Test #1

Dipper POV
It's time. 11:48 and Bill will be picking me up soon.
Sneaking out of the shack was easy enough, I told Mabel to tell Stan and Ford what was going on with Bill after I was long gone so they would know but not get in my way. I also decided to wait in the forest so they wouldn't see him. Assuming Bill would just teleport to were I was. Now I was leaning against a spruce counting down the seconds until noon.

Bill POV
I paced back and forth in my new living room. It's time. It's 11:48 and I'm supposed to pick Pine Tree up at 12:00,  the boss assured me that this is a simple test and neither of us will be harmed. Not that I care about getting hurt, pain is hilarious, but I would hate myself if Pine Tree got injured in something I dragged him into. Wait, wouldn't that be guilt? God, human emotions are kind of a buzz kill in this meat sack! Oh well.  As I realize it's time to go, I snap my fingers and am immediately standing before Pine Tree putting on my 'new' classic evil grin to hide the nervousness that flows through me.
"You ready to go?" I say, making Pine Tree look up from the ground.
"Let's get this over with, I guess" he sighs and stands up. I snap my fingers and we appear in front of the high court, consisting of basically everyone that's more powerful than me and usually order me around. Though I don't often listen.
Pine Tree steps a little closer, probably overwhelmed with this pressure.
"Bill Cipher and Demetri Love." One creature says from the top of a tall podium. The boy next to me looks confused.
"If the prophecy is correct, your real last name would be Love." I whisper to him before looking up to the rest of the council. "Yes." I say to them.
"Here to take the test of rejection." Another voice echoed through the room.
"Yes" I repeat. A door appears, it is white with black stripes going across it.
"We will be watching" the first voice says and I walk towards the door, Pine Tree following close behind.
"It will be fine," I whisper to him "Just do your best and it will all be over with." That seems to convince him as he begins to open the door, I wish I could convince myself of the same thing.

Dipper POV
We walk through the door to enter a white abyss. After waiting a few seconds, things start to appear out of nowhere.
"Your first test is a test of teamwork," I hear an echoing voice say. A structure appears and I look it over in fear.
First it is a flight of stairs with metal poles dividing the staircase in half, each poles is a certain hight with the next going higher with the stairs. Next there is a labyrinth of blades, flames, lasers and darts, coming out of the wall, all moving around in different directions. "You must complete this obstacle course while handcuffed together."
"Wait, wha..." Bill and I try to say at the same time but it is too late, a metal cuff attached to a short chain is wrapped around my wrist and the other side attached to Bill's. Bill looks at his wrist in surprise, jangling the chain around a little.
"Okay, let's do this thing!" Bill says, kind of excitedly. He runs up to the staircase, dragging me behind. The two sides are labeled with a tree symbol and a triangle.
"I guess this means which side we go on." I say casually. We begin to climb the stairs but are stopped by the first metal pole. Bill pulls a little but nothing will budge. He tries to go over but can't quite make the gap even when he jumps, it seems my side needs to be lifted as well. We begin to jump up and down trying to get over the pole, but when his side is up mine is down and vice versa.
"We need to jump at the same time to get over it." I say to him on the other side. He looks at my wrist and nods, I begin to count. "3," we both squat down a little "2," we stare up at the top of the pole "1!" Together, we jump up and the chain goes over the top of the pole.
"That actually worked!" Bill says like he didn't think teamwork could be this effective, which is probably exactly what he was thinking.
"It's not over yet Bill!" I encourage "let's try to get a rhythm going." He nods at me in agreement from the other side of the poles. "Up," I say as we step into the next step "and," we crouch down "over!" Together we jump again and make it over the pole. He starts saying those words with me as we jump over each pole. At the top of the stairs we laugh in joy, but it stops abruptly when I see the next stage of this test.
"Bill..." I hesitantly glance at him, his face seeming to have dropped like my own.
In front of us is a terrifying gantlet of swinging blades, flame throwers, lasers and tranquilizer darts shooting from the walls. "You said I wasn't going to get hurt!" I scream to Bill who seems to be staring at the course in shook.
"I said probably not going to get hurt, He argues back "and you won't get hurt  if you don't screw up!" He continues to stare at it with a worried look. I guess this kind of stuff can actually hurt a demon, compared to human weaponry. Plus he does have this whole meat sack form thing going on. I begin to stare intently at a swinging saw, counting each swing. Then I look over at a flamethrower pointing from out of the walk and count the seconds between the blasts. Looking at the other obstacles in the room I begin to do the math.

Bill POV
Fear fills my mind as I stare blankly at the hell hole in front of me. There's a new emotion, fear! Great now instead of loving pain, I hate it? This human body is the worst. How am I supposed to get through this stupid test and keep Dipper alive? He's only mortal and probably can't even get past the first... I am broken out of my thoughts with the sound of tapping. I look to Dipper and see that he is deep in thought not even moving. Further down, however, his foot is tapping against the floor.
"What are you doing?" I say a little annoyed, now is not the time to have a song stuck in your head when we're trying not to die! He doesn't answer me, just keeps staring forward. His eyes moving back and forth like he's reading. After a little more silence his foot begins to tap a little harder. Then harder. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" I repeat. Slowly he turns to me, keeping his now stomping foot going to some sort of beat.
"I figured out a way to get through this." He replies calmly. "Everything in this room is going the exact beat that my foot is going, all we have to do is move at this beat through the course together and we might have a chance at making it out alive." I look at him in pure shock. Did he really just figure this whole thing out in 60 seconds flat!? I begin to tap my foot with his and look over the course again.
"We're gonna have to go under that blade, over that laser, zigzag around the flames, then I'll throw you to the other side of the darts right before they fire again and you can press the stop button at the end." I say, analyzing the entire room. He seems surprised suddenly and looks to the end of the room.
"Huh, there really is a stop button" I guess he didn't notice it before? "Hey, why do I have to be launched across the room?" He whines, I just laugh.
"Because that's the only way we can make it past the darts in time, and you're so small it will be like throwing a football!" He seems unamused at my comment, but seems to agree with the plan otherwise.
"Have you ever even seen a football, let alone throw one?" He chuckles as we continue to stomp our feet, getting familiar with the beat.
"Yes I have seen one, and does throwing a foot count?" He just sighs and stays quiet. We look over the room again. I start to hear him humming, this is really not the time Pine Tree!
"What are you doing now?" I whine.
"If we sing a song to the beat we will be able to keep it without stomping, with that we can keep it together." He replies without even looking at me.
"You can sing?" I look at him confused. I don't mean to be rude or anything but he doesn't seem like a singing kind of person.
"I know my voice is pretty cracky but for some reason my singing voice isn't effected, at least that's what Mabel says. Personally I don't think I'm very good so I never sing, but I guess if it will save our lives." He looks at the ground, did I upset him? Oh no!
"Ok then, cool. What song will we sing?" I try to change the subject. He hums a little bit of a song and I nod.
"Do you know that song?" He asks a little sheepishly.
"Kid, I know everything!" I laugh, though I do enjoy this song. We nod to each other and start to sing, running towards the course with the beat.

Okay, I'm sorry but the musical number is gonna be next chapter on it's own as a small chapter, then the story will continue, but don't just skip it because it will have relevance to the story (and there's a slight bit of fluff). It's gonna be good trust me!