Chapter 3

The ride home was long, being rush hour traffic. I stared blankly out the window and what Mom's last words came to the forefront of my mind. What did she mean by demons? And what did they want from me?

"Ashton, we're here," Carrie said. I looked at her and opened the now unlocked door. Her house was a squat one floor building with a garden wrapping around to the side.

"The roses are finally growing," I said.

"Yes, they are. Now I think we should get inside quickly before a certain someone notices," she said. I nodded and walked up the steps, not as excited as I normally would be when I came over to Carrie's. I waited by the door as Carrie gathered some plastic bags. They contained some food and drinks. My stomach growled at the sight.

"Someone's hungry," Carrie chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. Carrie handed me some bags to hold while she opened the door. I walked in and walked over to the kitchen table and set the bags down. I left my shoes on. Carrie didn't mind since I had a reason I kept them on. I looked around and noticed that Carrie moved the furniture around a bit and placed the picture of a beach over the sofa instead of the armchair. I liked the new set up and complimented her on it. She thanked me and told me I could do what I wanted. I went over to the broom closet and opened it, seeing that the hidden door in the back was hidden, as usual, with the mattress Carrie had bought for her dog. Sadly, he got ran over by a car and died in the animal hospital. So whenever I came over, I sleep on that. I'm fine with it since Carrie's house only has one bedroom. I dragged the mattress, which was still in perfect condition, and placed it on the floor of the closet. Judging by the size of it, it shouldn't even be considered a broom closet.

"Ashton, how about you help me with dinner?" Carrie said from the kitchen. I padded out of the closet and into the kitchen not far from it. Carrie was pulling out microwave dinners and different foods that could be made into others.

"I know things are hard back at home, so I don't want to pressure you. But if u would like to cook for me," Carrie said. I smiled and nodded my head. Despite my hardships at home and being forces to be essentially my father's personal maid, I enjoyed cooking, although I didn't tell Dad that.

"I'd be happy to cook for you," I responded with glee.