Chapter Nine

Korra's POV

"It's for you." Asami told me as she handed her phone to me. Apparently it was Bolin and he wanted to talk to me.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Hi Korra," he hesitated. "Listen, can we talk tomorrow, maybe during lunch?" he asked.

"Sure, but what about?" I inquired.

"I'll tell you tomorrow." he said.

With that he hung up the phone. I wondered to myself why he sounded so down on the other line. It was probably showing on my face, since Asami kept glancing over to my direction.

"Everything okay?" she asked.

"I don't know." I answered honestly.

~~~~

We have been sitting on the swings for at least 40 minutes now. After how my father treated Asami, I couldn't just forgive him or myself. For these past minutes, I've been re-living the painful memories my father engraved in my mind. All the nights alone in my house, all the moments when I had to carry him from the front porch and drag him inside and all the nights he nearly lost his temper.

I was about to break down when I felt Asami's hand on my upper thigh. She didn't say anything. She didn't need to. Her presence was enough to calm me down. Knowing she was there, was like knowing spring will always come after winter. That no matter what obstacle life threw in my path, I would always get through it.

We sat there for a while longer. Without delay, the sun began to set. Then we both knew it was time to go. But I didn't want to go.

We walked, and as our steps neared to my house, my legs began to freeze. My legs got heavier and heavier in every step. A huge wave of anxiety washed over me. What if he hits me for leaving?

Having these thoughts made it harder to cope.

"You know what?" Asami asked as she looked at me in the eyes.

I stared at her with confusion probably written all over my face, since she giggled faintly.

"Sleep over at my house tonight." She offered. "I'll have someone call your house tonight to let your dad know."

I stared at her, wide-eyed. "But I thought your parents didn't want an outsider in your house?" I reminded her.

I probably forgot to tell you, but Asami's parents are rich. like filthy rich. Her father's a famous engineer that works for a construction conglomerate. Her mother's a renowned make-up artists for models and famous artists. They own a massive mansion, the size of the White House, just a few blocks from my house. They also have 15 maids, 20 guards, 10 cars and a massive swimming pool.

My daydream was interrupted by Asami's fingers clicking right in front of my face. She smiled gently before continuing to speak. "My parent's are out on their business trips for a few weeks, mom's going to Fashion Week in Paris and dad's overseeing some construction plans in Bangkok." she smiled at me.

Suddenly I felt extremely nervous. I didn't know if it was the good kind, where you would finally get so see your best friends house, or the band kind, where I would finally get to see my best friend's house after being friends for 5 years. When Asami came over to my house, I was nervous but I knew Asami wasn't the judgemental type. Sure she had a dark side, everybody does but she has always been nothing but kind to me. But for some reason, the whole notion of going to see her house, made me feel somewhat intimidated. It made me feel awkward.

My thoughts and feelings were probably written all over my face, when Asami suddenly drew her face, just a few inches away from mine, with a worried yet cute look.