At Kirrin Cottage Again

Georgina was at the station to meet her three cousins. Timmy her dog was with her, his long tail wagging eagerly. He knew quite well they had come to meet Julian, Dick and Anne, and he was glad it was much more fun when the five were all together.

"Here comes the train, Timmy!" said George. She won't answer if anyone calls her Georgina. She looked more like a boy with a curly hair.

Long before the train came to the little platform, three heads appeared out of one of the windows and three hands waved. George waved back her face with a huge smile.

The door swung open and Julian, Dick and Anne were out.

"Julian! Dick! Anne! Your train's late; we thought you were never coming."

"Hallo, George! Here we are at last." said Dick

"Any trunk or anything?" asked George. "Only those three bags?"

"Well we haven't come for long this time, only a fortnight."

" You shouldn't gave gone to France all those six weeks." said George, half - Jealously.

Dick waved his hands in the air and then spoke French, French was not one of George's strong subjects.

"Shut up!" she said giving him a friendly shove. "It's been lonely and dull at Kirrin without you guys.

A porter came up with a barrow. Dick addressed the astonished man in fluent French. But the porter knew Dick quite well.

"Go on with you," he said. "Do you want me to wheel these up to Kirrin Cottage for you?"

"Yes, please," said Anne. "Stop it, Dick. It isn't funny when you go on so long,"

"Oh, let him go on," said George, and she linked her arms in Anne's and Dick's. "It's lovely to have you again. Mother's looking forward to seeing you all."

"I bet Uncle Quentin isn't," said Julian, as they went along the little platform.

"Father's in quite a good temper " said George. "You know he's been to America with Mother, lecturing and hearing other scientists lecturing too."

George's father was a brilliant scientist, well - known all over the world. But he was rather a difficult man at home, impatient, hot - tempered and forgetful.

"Will Uncle Quentin be at home all the time we're staying with you?" asked Anne.

"No," said George. "Mother and Father are going away for a tour in Spain - so we'll be on our own."

"Wizard!" said Dick. "We can wear our bathing costumes all day long if we want to."

"And Timmy can come in at meal - times without being sent out whenever he moves." said George.

"There won't be time for any adventures these hols," said Dick, regretfully, as they walked down the lane to Kirrin Cottage. "Only two weeks - and back we go to school! Well, let's hope the weather keeps fine. I want to bathe six times a day!"

Soon they were all sitting around the tea - table at Kirrin Cottage, and their Aunt Fanny was handing round plates of her nicest scones and tea - cake. She was very pleased to see her nephews and niece again.

"Now George will be happy," she said, smiling at the hungry four. "She's been going about like a bear with a sore head the last week or two. Have another scone, Dick? Take two while you're about it."

"Good idea," said Dick, and helped himself. Where's Uncle Quentin?"

"In his study," said his aunt. "He knows it's tea - time, and he's heard the bell. I honestly believe he'd go without food all day long if I didn't go and drag him into the dining -room!"

"Here he is," said Julian, hearing the familiar impatient footsteps coming down the hall to the dining - room. The door was flung open. Uncle Quentin stood there. He didn't appear to see the children at all.

"Look here Fanny! He shouted. "See what they've put in this paper - the very thing I gave orders was NOT to be put in! The dolts! The idiots! The..."

"Quentin! Whatever's the matter?" Said his wife. "Look here are the children, they've just arrived."

But Quentin simply didn't see any of the four children at all. He went on glaring at the paper.

"Now we'll get the place full of reporters wanting to see me, and wanting to know all about my new ideas!" he said beginning to shout. "See what they've said! 'This eminent scientist conducts all his experiments and works out all his ideas at his home, Kirrin Cottage,' and so and so on.

"I tell you Fanny, we'll have hordes of reporters down."

"No, we shan't, dear," said his wife. "And anyway, we are soon off to Spain. And look, can't you say a word to welcome Julian, Dick and Anne?"

Quentin grunted and sat down. "I didn't know they were coming," he said, and helped himself to a scone. "You might have told me, Fanny."

"I told you three times yesterday and twice today," said his wife.

Anne suddenly squeezed her uncle's arm. "You're just the same as ever, Uncle Quentin," she said. "You never, ever remember we're coming! Shall we go away again?"

Her uncle looked down at her and smiled. He grinned at Julian and Dick. "Well, here you are again!" he said. "Do you think you can hold the fort for me while I'm away with your aunt?"

"You bet!" said all the three together.

"We'll keep everyone at bay!" said Julian.

"When are you and Mother going to Spain?" asked George.

"Tomorrow," said her mother firmly. "Now don't look like that, Quentin. I've told you heaps of times that we leave on September the third, I want a holiday too. The four children will love being on their own. It will do you good to get away - and the children will have a lovely two weeks on their own. Nothing can possibly happen, so make up your mind to leave tomorrow with an easy mind!"

Nothing can possibly happen? Aunt Fanny was wrong of course. Anything could happen when the Five were left on their own!"

***************************
Follow, votes and comments please. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, it's just my first book. Please I need support from you guys. Thank you so much.