e l e v e n

"I assume," said Antony, offering his hand to help Isabella from the carriage, "that exploring this massive place will be a sufficient distraction?"

Isabella did not say anything; she simply gazed around at the grounds, the pond, the trees, and the palace, her eyes alight.

"Thank you, Antony," she finally said. "It's...beautiful. Tell me, do they have a greenhouse here?"

"I believe so," he replied, after thinking for a few moments, and remembering his cousin's love for flowers. "Although, if I remember correctly, your father once said that it had fallen into disrepair during the reigns of the two Ruperts."

"Oh, but that's perfect! I will make it beautiful again, you'll see."

"I have no doubt you will, cousin. For now, however, let us go and speak to the butler."

They left the yard behind and walked the short distance to the massive front doors. Just as they reached the stairs leading to the entrance, the doors opened, and a man, looking a bit frazzled, stepped out to great them.

"Your majesties," he said, bowing to them each in turn. "We were not expecting you today. I'm afraid that we still have a great amount of preparation and cleaning to do..."

"Quite alright," interrupted Antony. "I did not expect that you would be finished, and I do apologize for any surprise or inconvenience we might have caused you by our early arrival."

"Thank you, sir," said Fulton, bowing slightly once more. "I am Fulton. If you will follow me, I will show you each to your suites. Or have you had luncheon yet?"

"We had a packed lunch that the kitchen staff at Mansfield sent along with us," said Isabella. 

"Wonderful. This way then."

As they entered, Antony found himself observing his surroundings with interest. He had only once before been a guest at this palace, when his parents had presented him to his uncle, the King. However, he had been too young to remember. Now, he saw everything as though it were the first time.

The grand entrance hall had a ceiling that reached to the top floor of this central wing of the palace, three levels. A great marble staircase went up to the second level and split, making its way upward in a slight curve towards the third level on each side. A huge, crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, the many faceted crystals catching its light and illuminating the vast hall.

As they made their way up the staircase, he found himself a bit daunted by the vast size of the castle, bigger, by far, than Mansfield. Fulton showed Isabella the location of her rooms first, and then proceeded to the King's Suite, the group of rooms- library, study, bedroom, parlor, bathroom- that would be Antony's. 

Afterwards, Antony dismissed Fulton and assured him that if he or his cousin needed anything, they would call for him with the servants' bell. Fulton bowed and showed himself from the room.

The King's Library, which had been the final stop on their short tour with Fulton, was huge, bigger than the one at Mansfield. There were floor to ceiling bookshelves, lined with books, from new titles to ancient tomes bearing the history of the empire and the kingdoms before it. Comfortable chairs were placed before the window for reading and relaxation and the huge window let in natural light, basking the room in sunshine.

Isabella turned to look at Antony. 

"I think," she said, "that we will all be very happy here." Then, after a few moments of silence, she added, "I think you'll be happy here, Antony, once you get used to it."