Chapter 12

"I didn't know you could play the piano," Dani said after Billy had taken a break.

"I was keeping it under wraps. Please don't tell Derek," Billy pleaded, "He'd just give me a hard time about it. Besides, I wanted to surprise him on his birthday by playing him a song when we're at home. He plays the keyboard."

"Billy, why do you let Derek bully you so much?"

Billy pushed up his red glasses and looked away, "He's not as bad as he seems. When it's just the two of us, he's really nice."

"So? That shouldn't make it okay for him to be a jerk in public," Dani said.

"Please, let's not argue about him," Billy said. "I really just wanted to share my secret with someone. I've been playing here twice a week for the past few months."

"I'm sorry. You're right. Congratulations. I'm very proud of you."

"Thanks. You look beautiful by the way, Dani."

Dani blushed and pulled on her black dress, "I didn't realize this place was so strict when it came to their dress code. They almost didn't let me in."

"Sorry, I forgot to mention it," Billy said, looking past Dani. "So you came with your boyfriend."

"My boyfriend?" Dani looked back to see Jax, watching them from the bar. "He's not my boyfriend."

"He looks jealous," Billy giggled. "Of me."

Dani smiled, "You're a handsome guy. Why wouldn't he be jealous. By the way, before I forget...were you here four nights ago?"

"Four nights ago? I don't think so. Why?"

"I was trying to find out if someone I knew had been here a few days ago. She came alone but didn't leave alone."

Billy laughed, "That could be anyone. This place is a total hook-up spot."

"Is it?"

"Yes. I wasn't here a few nights ago but I heard a guy even got on the piano to serenade his date."

"Really?"

"Yeah, this place is supposed to be a classy wine bar," Billy said, "but really it's just a place for middle-class folks to meet other middle-class people to hook up. Someone even said the bar hires escorts."

"Wow," Dani looked back at Jax who was talking with a blonde waitress.

"Jealous?" Billy whispered, a smile on his face.

"No," Dani crossed her arms. "He's totally not capable of cheating on me."

"I've never seen you so confidant, Dani. You must really be secure in your relationship."

"I'm secure that there's no way he could cheat on me since we're not dating," Dani murmured. She turned back to Billy, "Forget him. You were fabulous. Do you think you could play another song?"

"Of course. I'll be right back."

Dani walked over to Jax and looked pointedly at the blonde's hand which was on his forearm.

"Don't be jealous Panda Eyes," Jax grinned. "I told her I had a girlfriend but she wouldn't leave me alone. I'm glad you came to defend my honor."

"She's your girlfriend?" the blonde asked, pointing to Dani.

"Yes," Jax whispered. "She's the one I told you about. The one that's a black belt. The one that gets very jealous. She attacked the last woman that hit on me. Did I mention she just got out of prison?"

The blonde quickly removed her hand, "Well, you two enjoy your evening."

"Prison? Really?" Dani shook her head.