IX

Picture of Isabelle as a Wolf above.

Please note that this novel is unedited, and will not be edited until completion.

ISABELLE

The botanical garden had glowing lights all along the side of the glass ceiling, dimly illuminating the large space when the sun couldn't.

It was only six, but the sun had gone down, and the moon assisted the small lights in brightening up my surroundings. The moon was only a crescent, but my wolf had always felt calm in the presence of something we drew power from.

The glass door opened swiftly. Any human wouldn't have been able to pick up on such a swift sound, but I did. I stood up in the small circular clearing in the garden, listening to a familiar sound of almost silent footsteps.

Jada stepped into the opening of the clearing I stood in. She looked confused, but beautiful as ever. Her dark eyes were laced with curiosity, but she didn't look at me as she took in the scene in front of her.

"I do hope you're not planning to propose," she whispered sarcastically, mostly to herself, I think.

I couldn't bring myself to laugh, I just watched her until she finally turned her head in my direction.

Her cheekbones were high and her jaw was not clenched as it usually was, especially around me. Curiosity was dripping from her chocolate gaze, but she made no comment on it, as I expected.

"You came," I spoke finally.

She looked up and tilted her head slightly to the left, as if she were wondering why she wouldn't have come. Her expression had me wondering just how strong the mate connection was on her part. She always came when I called, and although she was distant, she made no indication that she was frustrated.

She nodded.

"Stay with me," I blurted before I could properly think of the right thing to say. She managed to keep her expression blank, but her jaw clenched, giving her collected persona away immediately.

She paused. And then; "What?"

"Stay with me, in my room. I can't go home very often, but when I do, I want you to come with me." I shook my head, "I need you with me."

She remained quiet, and I looked up to find her staring towards the roses that were crawling along the side of the glass wall in the garden. I continued.

"I can't continue like this, not knowing if you're safe or not. I have very rarely, if ever, blocked my Wolf from my conscious before I met you. But she feels too strongly and not being able to keep you beside us all the time ruins her. I need to make sure that you go unharmed."

I took a deep breath, "I know that it's not known that you are my mate, but that does nothing to change how both my Wolf and I feel about this. Please, just stay with me. I need to keep you safe. Please."

She jutted her chin out defiantly, and crossed her arms over her chest. She was annoyed, it seemed. "I am capable of protecting myself, Isabelle. I've been training since I could walk. I lived in an Academy dedicated to training for nine years! I can protect myself!"

"I know that," I responded sharply, "but that doesn't stop me from constantly worrying about you! I'm an Alpha, and your mate! There is no one in this universe that can protect you like I can!"

"I can protect myself just fine," she snapped. "I'm not some damsel in distress that needs to be assisted. If I'm not correct, I was sent here to protect you!"