Cookies

3/17/17

"Wait you're seriously going to bake?" Zelda asked, leaning against the counter as she watched her boyfriend shuffle from the cupboard to the drawer, to the fridge, setting things on the counter as he went. "I thought you were kidding."

He half turned towards her and smiled. "Oh no, I'm very serious when it comes to the kitchen."

"How very umm..." she began, but couldn't find the word.

Link chuckled. "Cookies are nothing to be ashamed of," he said as he brought out the measuring cups and set them by the bowls. He looked over at her and beckoned. "Come on."

"What?"

"We're going to make them together," he said with a sly smile.

"I see no way this could go wrong," she said sarcastically.

He smirked as he beckoned again. "We start with the sugars: brown and white," he said. "And the butter."

"Fantastic," she grumbled as she walked over to the counter.

"We measure them out and the put them into the mixing bowl to cream them."

"What the heck does cream mean?"

"It just means mixing them together till they get smooth."

"Oh," she said, why didn't they just call it mixing then? she thought, then looked around. "Where's the recipe?"

Link smiled and tapped the side of his head.

"What? We're doing this by your memory?"

"If you remem-"

"Yes, yes, I know you have a freakishly good memory," she interrupted him. "What's first then?"

"One cup of butter," he said, pulling her to the counter covered in ingredients.

"How are you even supposed to measure that."

"One stick is half a cup."

"That's a lot of butter," she said.

He licked his lips. "Yes, yes it is."

She held in a defeated laugh even as her face burned softly, then she shook her head. "Fine, two sticks it is," she said as she unwrapped them and dropped them into the bowl.

"Now," he started as he stepped behind her, "the sugar."

A seed of warmth planted itself in her stomach as he came near, and then it burst into flames as he slipped his arms around her waist. "...how much?"

He shifted his weight against her and pressed his hand against her arm to guide it to one of the measuring cups. "One cup," he replied, his breath across her neck.

This is still so weird...

I like it.

Taking the cup measure she scooped out a cup of sugar and dumped it on top of the butter. "One cup of the brown as well?" she guessed.

"Mmm-hmm."

Having to force herself to take a breath, she scooped out the brown sugar and moved to put it in the bowl as well.

Link shook his head and stopped her, his hand gentle on her forearm. "It's gotta be packed down."

"How do you remember even the small details?" she asked, sighing as she did as he said.

He took it as a rhetorical question and instead of answering he set his head on her shoulder.

She dropped the measuring cup on the counter with a slight clatter, her fingers not holding as much strength as they had just a moment ago. "Now what?"