Chapter Twenty

ANAIS

I couldn't believe I was holding him in my arms now. The emotions I felt right now doesn't even come close to what I'd expected I'd feel. This tiny baby came out of me. I carried him in my womb for nine months. He was mine and Coco's.

He made small, gentle movements with his hands and feet which were restricted due to the light blue blanket wrapped around him. Kanina lang ang himbing ng tulog niya. The baby's face scrunched up and suddenly he started making a quiet cooing sound.

"Niccolo... bakit nakasimangot ang baby namin?" Coco pressed a gentle kiss on our baby's cheek.

"Hey, stop kissing the baby. Baka magka-rashes ang apo ko." Saway ni Dad. Coco drew back like a dog that got smacked with a newspaper.

"Dad, naman. Niccolo is his son, too." I rolled my eyes.

"And what kind of name is Niccolo? Couldn't you think of a better one?" He shook his head in disapproval. "Hindi pa naman na finalized ang birth certificate. Pwede pa natin baguhin ang pangalan niya."

I'd written Niccolo Xavier Lavigne on his birth certificate. I wanted to write Cordova as his last name but I knew Dad would lose it. Saka hindi naman kami kasal ni Coco at nakalagay naman sa birth certificate niya na si Coco ang ama niya.

"Yeah, take away the Xavier and it'll sound even better." Tito Phoenix said. He and Tita Cassie sat on the opposite side of the bed where Mom and Dad stood. Pinaglayo talaga sila ni Mom at ni Tita Cassie, they couldn't stand next to each other without either of them starting a fight.

"Ano bang problema mo, ha?" Dad's jaw clenched.

"Ikaw? Ano'ng problema mo? Kanina mo pa pinag-iinitan ang anak ko." Tito Phoenix's eyes narrowed at him.

"Your son and that stupid name is my problem." Dad answered without flinching.

Niccolo let out a loud cry. I rocked him in my arms and still he wouldn't stop crying.

"Nakita niyo ginawa niyo! You made Niccolo cry!" Mom looked at the two of them with a deep frown on her face.

"Hindi ba kayo nahihiya sa mga pinagagawa niyo? May apo na kayo, para pa rin kayong mga bata!" Tita Cassie shook her head.

"He started it." Tito Phoenix said.

"I mean, come on. Why would you name your child Niccolo, Anais?" Dad asked.

"Dad, kami ni Bryce ang nag-isip ng name para sa baby. Walang kinalaman si Coco sa desisyon ko." I sighed as I continued to rock Niccolo. "He is my son and I want to name him Niccolo Xavier. Nothing you say will ever change my mind."

"You hear that, you asshole." Tito Phoenix smirked.

"Nick, ano ba? Tumigil ka na sabi!" Tita Cassie threw him a sharp glare. "One more word and you'll be sleeping in the guest room tonight. Umiiyak na nga yung bata, wala pa rin kayong ginawa kung hindi magsabong."

"What are we going to do? He won't stop crying..." I could hear the slight panic in Coco's voice.

"Baka naman puno na ang diapers. Let me check." Tita Cassie unwrapped his blue blanket and checked his diaper. "It's still dry."

"Or maybe he's hungry." Mom brought her hand in front of Niccolos face. He wrapped his tiny fingers around one of her and tried to bring it to his mouth. "Oh he is hungry. Poor baby."

"We didn't bring any milk..." I quietly said.

Mom smiled. "We don't have to. It's better to breastfeed the baby. I don't want to put him on formula. Masyado pa siyang baby, he needs nutrients from you."