Part 36

As I frantically looked through my scope at the town below us, I felt my body freeze with fear at the sight of unfamiliar people inside the walls attacking every Alexandrian in sight.

"What the hell.." Spencer breathed before taking the safety off his rifle, aiming, and beginning to fire off rounds.

I shakily did the same; all my fears seeming to become reality as I mindlessly pulled the trigger, ending yet another life, but this time.. of someone who I knew deserved it.

The only thing replaying through my mind was everything Daryl had told me-- to protect myself and this group, no matter what.. and I was going to do just that.

I continued firing at invader to invader, my eyes becoming glossy as I watched and did things that I knew would haunt me for the rest of my life.

"Shit," Spencer said under his breath, "Come on, come on." He continued as he fired off another shot.

I pulled the trigger again, only instead of my gun going off, all that could be heard was a small click, "Dammit-" I swore under my breath before both of our attention turned to the sound of a roaring engine in the distance.

We both rushed over to the other side of the watch tower, now seeing a large truck barreling towards Alexandria's gate.

"Shit.." Spencer breathed again, fumbling with his gun as he tried aiming again.

"They're gonna take down the gate, Spencer, shoot!" I yelled frantically, feeling completely helpless.

He then began unloading bullet after bullet into the windshield of the truck, with little to no effect, until finally it began to veer away from the path to the gate, only to come full throttle in our direction.

"No, no, no!" Spencer cursed.

"Grab onto something!" I yelled right as the truck hit the watch tower head on, thrashing us around as the structure beneath us crumbled from the impact.

As the dust began to settle and I was able to comprehend everything that was happening, my ears were filled with the blaring sound of a horn.

"We have to shut that off," I coughed, waving the dust away from my face as we climbed towards an opening in the wall, "That things gonna alert every walker within 10 miles!"

"It's gonna alert everything within 10 miles!" Spencer yelled back over the horn, prying enough boards of wood out of the way for us to crawl out.

"You get the horn," I instructed, pulling the gun that Daryl picked for me out of my waistband, "I have to help everyone inside-"

"But, I-"

"Spencer, I have to go!" I yelled before I began running towards the entrance of Alexandria, scared beyond belief and after seeing what these people already did, not knowing if I'd make it to see the rest of the group again.

As I pushed through the gate, I immediately came face to face with a deranged man who wielded a large knife and had a W on his forehead.
I felt my body freeze up as he slowly walked closer to me, an eery smile painted on his face as his eyes never lost contact with mine.

In an instant he lunged forward, causing me to quickly move back and fire my gun 3 times, but not before his knife grazed against my lower jaw; a sharp stinging pain being left behind.

As he fell to the ground and his blood pooled out of his wounds, I felt my knees get shaky as a mix of emotions hit me.

"No, not now." I whispered to myself, quickly wiping my tears before taking out my knife and stabbing at the base of the strangers skull.

As the deafening sound of the horn finally stopped, the bloodcurdling screams and yelling only got louder.
I then pushed myself off the ground, grabbing the other knife before running towards all of the houses; not knowing where to go, but just knowing that I needed to do something.

Suddenly, the sound of a whistle stopped me in my tracks, causing me to turn around only to see another heart dropping, unfamiliar face.
Before I knew it, I was getting chased by another man with a knife and I knew he only had one goal in mind.
My legs ached and adrenaline rushed as I ran through the streets as fast as I could, knowing he was just a few strides behind me and at any moment could have me in his grasps, when out of nowhere, another gunshot.
I skidded to a halt, looking behind me to see the man who was once chasing me, sprawled out on the ground.

"Liz!" A voice yelled in the distance, causing me to look over and see Rosita waving me to where she and Aaron stood, "With us; now!" She instructed.

I nodded, out of breath and unable to speak, before I began following very closely behind them.

"Where'd these people come from? Did you see them come in?" Aaron asked quietly as we snuck beside a house.

I shook my head, "All me and Spencer saw was a huge truck trying to break through the gate, and we took care of that-- that's where the horn came from."

He sighed, "I just don't get how they found us-"

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore because they're all going to die." Rosita snapped, cutting him off.

We soon got up to the side of the porch of this house, right as one of the men was darting out of it, coming straight for us.
Rosita and Aaron quickly shot him down, unintentionally alerting another intruder in the house and causing them to also charge us before also getting shot.

"Come on." Rosita sighed, pushing her bangs out of her face as we continued on to the next house.

I soon stopped though, the sound of footsteps causing me to turn around as another intruder ran past us and out of the house. Without hesitation, I grabbed the knife that I had taken previously, pulled it back behind my head, and threw it as hard as I could. The large weapon flew through the air before hitting the man dead center in the back, causing him to fall face first into the cement.

"Holy hell.." Aaron breathed.

_____
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and enjoyed seeing Liz take on this role of being more of a protector.

How do you think all this killing will impact Liz?
Do you think she'll have a hard time getting over it or will she learn how to brush it all off?

I absolutely love hearing your guys feedback, so don't be afraid to leave it!