79

"hey," the syllable is so soft, and dan probably wouldn't have heard it if his eyes weren't watching the way phil's lips move. his gaze travelled further up the bridge of phil's pointed nose, sliding over his prominent cheekbones and ceasing when he got to his eyes which were dull and bright at the same time.

dullness of what had happened between the two lovers prior to dan's return and the brightness of simply seeing dan after more than two weeks was reflected chastely in the two pools of blue, so full of emotion that dan could physically feel himself shrink.

he couldn't imagine them lifeless and watery once he had told phil about the terrible, terrible mistake he had made, the way his eyebrows would drop or the way the corners of his mouth would slump with his bottom lip clamped between his teeth.

the mere thought of phil looking like that was breaking his heart.

"i'm sorry," dan blurted in response to phil's greeting, which caught phil slightly off guard as he watched the way dan's cheeks flushed, his fingers curling into fists against his thighs.

"hey," phil's eyebrows furrowed as he stepped closer, hesitantly reaching up to push a tuft of hair off dan's forehead. "you didn't do anything, it's okay," phil sounded so sure, so sure that it was just a misunderstanding and that neither of them could do anything to sabotage their relationship. dan knows phil would completely shatter once he gets to know just how wrong he has been.

dan can feel himself breaking, he doesn't deserve this at all. he doesn't deserve the comfort of phil's soft touches or his reassuring words or just simply phil as a whole. he has been the worst possible person to phil, always putting him down, always making him feel like he wasn't enough, like he wasn't loved.

it was all dan's fault.

"i'm so sorry phil," dan sputters, almost choking on his words as his eyes brim with tears, stray drops of salt travelling down his cheeks in a hurry as if they would hate to be on his skin for any longer.

phil watches confused, sighing softly and reaching forward to wrap his arms around dan's shoulders, letting the younger boy nuzzle his face desperately into his neck, loud sobs wrecking dan's small frame as he bunches up the soft material of phil's shirt in his fists.

"oh, baby, it's okay, i'm not mad at you, i'm so sorry," phil mumbles, holding dan closer and trying to calm him down, but dan only cries harder, sniffling pathetically against phil as his tears continue to flood, wetting a patch on the shoulder of phil's shirt.

"dan," phil's fingers curl into dan's messy hair, his lips planting a fond kiss against dan's cheek as he drags his hand along the younger's back soothingly. "it's alright, it's okay, we're fine, calm down darling,"

--

sorry if this was a little short :// i just wanted to update hngg