Chapter 25

{Another one of meeramiller007 ROSEBUD's awesome creations! She's one very talented cover artist I must say

{Another one of meeramiller007 ROSEBUD's awesome creations! She's one very talented cover artist I must say.}

~

It had been the heaviness upon her eyelids that Kate felt the first thing as she began waking up. The light coming through the window was as if seeping through those closed eyelids of her. The knowledge of the existence of light and the feeling of it was in no way pleasant. The inside of her head throbbed, but then there was some fumbling on her arm and soon the throb gave way to a numbness that she didn't know what to make out of.

After a few failed attempts and many groans later, she opened her eyes a little fraction.

A man with a sickeningly satisfied smile stared at her from behind a pair of unclear glasses.

The face felt familiar to her. Sluggishly she moved her eyes downwards to see the white jacket on his body and the stethoscope around his neck. A doctor. Ah... doctor Gonsalves.

"How are you feeling, Kate?" the man asked slowly as if he was talking to a dumb child.

Kate opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out other than a weird screech. A nurse appeared out of nowhere with a cup and held the straw from it to her mouth. While she gulped from it greedily, Dr. Gonsalves scratched his beardy jaw.

Her mind reeled back. She recalled those despondent moments back at her apartment as she lay with this toxic satisfaction knowing life was slipping away. It made her cringe now. Then there was the hazy sight of her parents and her baby, her nirvana. Whatever it was - one last dream, an illusion her brain created, or the reality of death - the memory of it appeared to be therapeutic in her mind now. A flicker of strength seemed to erupt inside her as she drew it from a memory of what most people would call an illusion. It was almost as if she had come across her safe haven and it had returned her with the rare promise of benevolence. And she'd woken up to see Alex beside her bed, she had seen Ellie, Victor, and Neil. The unignorable riot of their voices and tears was what brought her back. 

"I hope you're not fancying this as the afterlife?" Dr. Gonsalves asked and it couldn't be told if he was serious or was just throwing a joke. "My last patient did so after I punched him out of a coma. It was funny until he begged for mercy."

"My head feels scary," Kate mumbled in a raspy voice.

"It's supposed to," Dr. Gonsalves said in return before he began with questions concerning her health, memories, and a few light finger and toe movements. His hands were busy scribbling things down on the sheets on a clipboard.

After a satisfied Dr. Gonsalves left with his battalion, minutes later Elli rushed in and subjected Kate to her threats and fury ever since.

"You're bad," Ellie whacked Kate on the arm again. "You're very very bad!"