Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Zaid's POV)

It took me what felt like hours to open my eyes.

My body felt heavy and I felt so weak, so tired, but I was still strong enough to stay conscious. I felt something soft and velvety underneath me, far more comfortable than my bed. Who's bed was I on?

Come to think of it...

I couldn't remember what happened before I went to sleep. Was I even asleep? Was I dreaming?

Suddenly, the heavy scent of smoke filled my nostrils and I coughed weakly at the burning in my nose. I felt my eyes water at how heavy the smoke was. I tried to roll away from it, but I hit something hard. I grimaced and forced my eyes to open further. At first, it was all a blur. I saw long, blurry bars in front of me and a white wall behind it.

I frowned in confusion, then slowly lifted my hand to trace along the bar, my breathing tired and weak as I coughed again for clean air, but I ended up only inhaling a heavy amount of smoke. I gagged and rolled onto my back again. That's when I saw more bars above me.

My eyes flashed, my heart started to beat faster.

Where am I?

What's going on?

"I told you to take him away from here, not park him in your shitty trailer." A voice snarled from somewhere. I tilted my head back a little, blinking a few times to clear my vision. Slowly, everything was coming into focus.

I was in a cage. Steel bars surrounded me and stood over me, close together so I wouldn't even be able to slide through.

Just beyond the bars of my cage, I recognized the inside as a small trailer. It was attractive and mostly clean with white cupboards, a flatscreen settled across from the two soft benches that sat on either side of me. I must be where the table should be, I realized, tilting my head around.

Then my eyes landed on two men standing across from the door. I immediately recognized Breece standing closest to the door, his clothes soaked through and dripping to the white and purple tiled floors. Standing beside him was Jack Runningwolf, pulling a cigarette from his mouth with a calm, laidback expression on his face.

Suddenly, everything from before came rushing back, making my eyes widen.

The trap in the woods. The argument with my father. Holly being rushed to the hospital after the birth of her son. Jack making tea. And finally, collapsing in my bedroom.

Panic rose in my throat as I rolled over onto my side, pausing as a wave of nausea hit me so hard I couldn't move for fear of vomiting. I just breathed heavily, choking on the smoke as my hair fell over my face in wet strands.

"Look who's awake." Jack's voice stated.

I tilted my head up slowly, my vision blurring for a second before returning as I gritted my teeth, trying my best to glare at him. I wanted to sit up and grab at his wrist as he withdrew the cigarette from his mouth, but my body felt so heavy.

"What's that look for," Jack said with a dainty smile, "You're not angry with me, are you? I'm only trying to help."

"Quit talking to him," Breece snapped in irritation, coming up beside him as they stood outside the cage, "Will you just get out of here already?" Jack snorted, reaching out to an ash tray that sat a foot away. He crushed the cigarette butt into the glass, then took another cancer stick from his pocket, lighting it up. He blew the smoke into the cage, making me cough and choke, slumping to the velvety bottom of the cage.

"Don't be so impatient," Jack chided, ignoring me now as he turned to Breece, "I need to see how he acts in his natural environment. Have you seen Adam and Scorpio anywhere? They're going to be pleased when I show them I won the bet."