chapter 7

Namjoon had called yesterday to tell us that the papers were handled fine, and that anytime soon, Aeri would finally be under my custody.

I can't wait.

Just the thought itself made me all giddy.

"Aeri, say ma-ma." I exaggerated the last word, opening my mouth widely so she could mimic me.

Aeri's chuckle caught on her throat and a long squeak escaped from her lips. I buried my face on her stomach, making gurgling sounds, tickling Aeri.

"Ma-ma," I encouraged her with an expectant smile.

Well, Aeri had been mumbling "muh" and "buh" sounds lately, and her pediatrician had told me that she was doing well development wise.

"Muh – muh," mumbled Baby Aeri slowly and it made me melt.

"Aww," I cooed, clapping my hands. "Mommy loves Aeri so much. Does Aeri love mommy?"

Aeri responded with a shy giggle, turning away from me and kicked her feet up in the air.

"Say daddy next!" a voice broke in. Taehyung.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to snap my head to his direction because our faces were literally only an inch apart, and my breath might or might not have just hitched on my throat.

Fortunately, his attention was on Aeri.

"Oh... welcome home," I greeted. Feeling conscious of the proximity, I cautiously pulled my head back.

Little Aeri suddenly became quiet. Curiously, I dropped my gaze and saw her staring at Taehyung attentively. Then, Aeri smiled, exposing her pinkish gums. She must really like Taehyung, I'd noticed that lately.

Taehyung poked her nose. "Dad-dy."

Aeri did 'buh buh buh' sounds as if she were trying to say something to Taehyung. She reached for Taehyung and wrapped her tiny hand on Taehyung's finger. I knew she wanted to pull it towards her, but it only ended up slipping away from her hand. So what Aeri did was to repeat clutching on Taehyung's hand.

"It'll take her some time. But wouldn't it be a problem if she gets used to calling you that in the future?"

Aeri's facial expression scrunched up a little, and then a small hint of a frown appeared on her face.

"Do you mind?" Taehyung smoothed the crease forming on Aeri's forehead.

I carefully thought about it. "I'm not sure, actually. It's not like she'll be calling anyone as her dad anytime soon. Not that I mind being a single mom." I let out a soft chuckle. "Ah but don't worry. I won't tie you up with me for so long. I'll make sure of that."

"Kyungmin, what if she looks for a father?" Taehyung shot me an inquisitive look.

"I hope I have someone who'll be with me to stand as her father before she's old enough to ask that."

Taehyung hummed in response, attention lingering on Aeri. He offered his hand to Aeri like he was asking if Aeri wanted to be lifted by him.

Just then, Aeri mumbled a very very soft "da-da", and Taehyung immediately whipped his head towards me proudly.

"Oh, I guess it wouldn't take her long." He wrapped his hands around Aeri and lifted her. Adjusting the weight, he held Aeri on the neck for support and sprung a little so his other arm was on her lower body.

She looked twice smaller with Taehyung.

"Aww, look at those big sparkly eyes," Taehyung cooed. "Is little Aeri happy?"

Probably due to excitement, Aeri squirmed against Taehyung and she pushed her head back a little too fast.

"Oh, careful with that," I softly warned. "Her doctor said her neck's slowly becoming firmer, but just be careful."

"Did you hear mommy? She said you should be careful." Taehyung pouted, squinting his eyes at Aeri and the little child smacked her head at Taehyung.

"Taehyung!"

But before Aeri bumped on Taehyung's jaw, Taehyung immediately distanced his head, causing Aeri's face to land on his chest.

At first, I wondered if the impact was hard, but Aeri let out small cheerful murmurs.

Only then was I able to breathe again.

"Aish, that's dangerous!" Taehyung patted Aeri on the back whilst carrying her in a snuggle hold position. "Little Aeri should stop making mommy worry, okay?"

The tensed look on my face softened as Taehyung smiled at me reassuringly. I heaved a sigh.

Aeri turned away from Taehyung and my gaze met hers as if she had listened to Taehyung and that the thought was still processing on her mind. Then, she started crying.

"W-what? Did I do anything?" An anxious Taehyung with rounded eyes stood confusedly, rocking Aeri on his arms to tone her down.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "She must be hungry. Also, it's time for her to sleep."

"Again?"

"Babies around her age sleep all day, Taehyung." I stretched my arms and Taehyung gave me Aeri delicately.

"Ah, no, stay there," Taehyung spoke up just when I stood up. "The formula's on the cupboard, right?"

"You sure you could do it?"

"Yeah, yeah," Taehyung confidently said. "Just stay there."

Taehyung left and Aeri's loud cries slowly downgraded into sobs as I swayed her back and forth.

"Don't worry, daddy's going to get—" I paused midway, continuously blinking as I realized what I had just said.

I mean, that was okay, right? For Aeri to recognize him as his dad for now. She wouldn't remember, would she?

"I got it!" Taehyung came back quickly, the baby bottle on his hand. "Anything wrong?"

I hummed, gathering my thoughts before I shook my head. "No," I mumbled. "Nothing's wrong."

"Aeri, daddy's back with your milk." Taehyung smiled cheekily, leaving a soft kiss on Aeri's head.

"Thanks."

a/n: chapter dedicated to taespresso :) I love reading your comments, they always make me smile. Thank you so much ♡