Chapter 22: "Spain"

Days were passing by really fast. Asher and I decided to set a wedding venue since we need to get married within a month.

"These seem really expensive," I said to Edna. Asher was sitting beside me, looking at other wedding venues. Edna was our wedding planner. She was a petite Hispanic woman with dyed purple hair. She was- as I guessed in her late thirties. She was a very friendly person and brilliant in her work too.

"I am sorry, Mel, but these are the only venues I could gather at the last minute." Edna said pursing her lips.

"Book this one," Asher pointed to the computer screen.

He was pointing to a old style extravagant brick hotel. The wedding settings were wonderful since it was an outdoor place. This was my favourite since I loved the idea of getting married outdoors with the view of the sea behind me, but the price was really high.

"I love this. Are you sure? Isn't this too expensive?" For something we are doing out of pretence.

"Money isn't a big deal for me. What matters is if you like it or not," he said to me, "Edna please book this."

"Yes, I will get to it right away, Mr. Jones."

After we were done confirming the wedding venue, we were on our way to our place.

"You could have chosen a cheaper venue. Since we are doing this as a pretence."

"Armelle- again money doesn't matter to me. Besides your mother told me that you would have loved to get married outdoors near the sea. Thought that venue went perfectly with the description."

"When did you talk to my mother?"

"I went to visit them. To ask your father for permission to marry you. Since he wasn't quite sure about our marriage. I just needed his assurance. That's when I talked to your mother," he answered, steering the car to the right.

"You went to my dad to ask my hand in marriage." I stated a bit shocked.

"That's how it's done, right? I thought of doing it properly, even though it's fake."

I was touched by this. Everyone saw Asher as a ruthless billionaire but to me he was one of the nicest souls. He had a big heart and not to mention he was a little humble.

.............

Sydney: Guess what I received in the mail?!

Armelle: What?

Sydney: I RECEIVED YOUR ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM UNIVERSITY OF BARCELONA! THAT MEANS YOU CAN SPEND YOUR NEXT SEMESTER ABROAD AND NOT ONLY THAT, THEY ALSO REWARDED YOU WITH A HEFTY SCHOLARSHIP.

A few months ago, I applied for doing a semester in Spain as I always wanted to visit the country. Thinking I wouldn't be able to afford it, I kind of lost hope about it.

Armelle: OMG! That's great!! Can't wait to celebrate this with you!

We decided to meet up at an Italian restaurant which is a few blocks away from my house. Usually, the restaurants around Asher's place seem expensive, but I had Asher's card with me. And he insisted on spending money from it, because I haven't spent a single penny from that account since he has given me the card. Weirdly enough, he was disappointed about it. So I decided to finally spend it.

We ordered some pizza and carbonara, along with some fancy wine the waiter recommended.

"You are already practicing being Mrs. Jones. Aren't you?" Sydney teased.

"Not exactly. He just told me to use his card which I rarely do. So why not just spend on pizza and pasta?"

"I agree." In the meantime our food was served. Syd and I started digging in our carbonara. It was delicious. I get why people spend their money on expensive restaurants. The food was so delicious that it was worth it.