Chapter 30: The Undoing

I watch as his lips part slightly, showing me he's fallen asleep and I have the overwhelming urge to shake him awake and ask what he means. Who's going to take me and why? More useless questions flock my head as I sit back on my heels wondering what he means. Finally deciding against torturing myself with more questions I stand and wonder over to Eric's bookshelf, pulling out a book that seems to be intresting so I can distract myself.

                                                                                            +++

"Eric!" a voice shouts making me jerk awake in the arm chair, "Eric come on get up!" my eyes peak open to see Four shaking a sleeping Eric and Zeke standing close by. I prop myself up with my elbows as I rub my eyes hazily, "What are you guys doing here?" I groan and both their heads turn to face me.
"The real question is what are you doing here?" Zeke asks with his eyebrows raised.
"He was drunk so I..." a loud groan coming from the bed inturupts me as Eric sits up lazily.
"The hell?" he groans while looking at Zeke and Four.

"C'mon Eric Max needs you," Four grabs Eric's arm and pulls him out of bed, quiet literally. Eric plops onto the ground until Zeke's got his other arm and hoisting him up onto his feet. Eric mumbles a few profanities before storming out of the room without even seeing me.

I let out a small sigh and place the book on the nightstand while I watch the three boys disappear. Still no answers. The clock reads 6 in the morning and on a Sunday even I, a former Amity know that that's too early. Yet I still get up and head to the dormitory.

The thing that surprises me the most is that no one is in the dormitory, it's flipping 6 in the morning and no is in bed. An infurated grunt comes from my mouth as I storm out running to the cafeteria. I just need to find Sasha and talk her through whatever the hell it is that's going on in my life. Walking into the cafeteria my eyes rake the room but I don't spot one former Amity. Where is everyone? We aren't supposed to start job training until 8:00 and if they're not in the dormitory or the cafeteria then where could they be?

"Mercer!" a voice shouts from behind me and I twirl around to see Matt running after me.
"Where were you I've been looking for you everywhere!" he exclaims.
"Looking for everybody else, where are they?" I ask as he leads me through the halls.
"They're all by the trains," his voice is suddenly dangerous and on edge and it reminds me that he's a leader here.
"Why are they by the trains?" I ask quieter.

"We'll explain that once we get to the trains," he retorts softly.
"We?" I question.
"All of the leaders," my ears perk up at that, that means Eric will be there and they might finally explain to us what's going on.

We arrive at the train platform and Matt leads me into the group of confused transfers before joining the four other leaders. The five authoritive figures before us, Eric included, get us to all quiet down as Max steps forward. That's when my eyes settle on a very stricken faced Asher. What the hell is he doing here? My eyes soon travel to a very weary looking Eric and his eyes travel to mine, an emotionless void of doubt and disappointment.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why you're here, or why training got cancelled yesterday," Max begins and I mentally scream at him to continue and tell us what the actual hell is going on, "well the truth is, your former faction, well they've been rather.... convincing." Convincing? How could an Amity convince a Dauntless of anything that they don't want. 'We're low on supplies' Big Mama's words echo in my head. No, the Amity wouldn't do that. They wouldn't cut off food supplies, would they?

"We're sending you back," silence surrounds us all as the words settle into our heads. They're sending us back. They're sending us back. Back to Amity? After everything we've been through? After everything they've put us through the past 3 weeks and they're going to send us back?
"What if we don't want to go back?" Sasha's strangled voice fills the air and all heads turn to Max waiting for an answer. What if we don't want to go back.
"I'm afraid the treaty will not be accepted until every last former Amity is returned," his eyes scan all of us. Every last one. Nate.