true family

The snow is terrible, at least by my standards. I could do with a little layer, not embedded footprints. This reminds me of my brother, how he'd lament on and on about it, the few times he complained. All it made me want to do is migrate to a warm country.

To further ruin the day, it's the first New Year in seven years that I could possibly be forced to attend with family. "No way, no. My little 'record' will not end suddenly because I've chosen just this once to listen and at least live with you guys." I shake my head. "Seven years and counting will not come to an end because it's new years. I left that house for a reason, I intend to stay away. I'm only here cause of Tohru!"

"Only because of Tohru? When you moved in, you didn't know that Tohru would be staying too yet. And then you knew she was going to move out," Shigure says. "Just admit you like us boys."

"Sh-shut up! I've not run away yet because you'll tell Akito—"

Tohru walks in, setting down a round cooler. "What have you guys been arguing about?"

"Listen to me, Tohru-kun. These guys refused to go back to the Sohma house for new years!" Shigure whines.

"You three aren't going be going back? But Momiji said it was the main event of the year," Tohru ponders.

"That's right! It's a big celebration!"

"How big it is isn't the point," I mutter and am ignored.

"It's a big annual celebration where the Sohma family comes together. The best part is the banquet for only the twelve zodiac," Shigure says. "Only the twelve who are cursed can attend this banquet. Then, the zodiacs of old and new will perform dances. This year, Momiji and the year of the tiger will exchange. Three years ago, Yuki's dance was really beautiful! And even three years before that, Kuroi at least came for the banquet and---!"

My hair sticks right up in defence mode, like a bird's plume puffing up for defence on Planet Earth. "Shigure really does dance really bad! When I was a young child I heard he was wagging his toush-- just like a dog when it's owner comes home!" I squeal to shut him up as he turns red with embarrassment.

"Kuroi... so mean..." The tears stream down his face and I don't even bat an eye.

"There's no point in me attending, it's really for the main members anyways."

"It still sounds very fascinating! Just like the folk tale!" Tohru exclaims, clapping her hands together.

"And has nothing to do with me!" Kyo scoops rice into his mouth. "Cause the cat doesn't attend, so it doesn't matter whether I go or not."

"The cat is not allowed!" Shigure proclaims. "Just like in the folktale. It's how tradition has been passed down for years."

"... How can..." Tohru's voice trailed off in sadness.

"You shouldn't look so disappointed! It's the reason I'm not going anyways," Kyo says.

"Well, I heard you were going to go to your Grandpa's... but he's out on a trip to Hawaii, isn't he?" Shigure looks and Tohru.

"We can have fun here, Tohru-kun. Just like we've done every year."

"It's completely fine!" Tohru says. "You must have parents whom miss you dearly. You can use this as a chance to meet with your parents you haven't seen for so long. The new year is special, so you should celebrate! I can take care of the house while you are gone, don't worry!"

She pauses, remembering something, "I forgot to turn off the hot water in the bath!!" and rushes off.

"I can endure Akito..."