f o r t y - f o u r

Meredith made her way back to Lady Catherine's room, feeling somewhat better after chatting with Ramona. As she closed the door behind her and turned around, however, the feeling faded.

Lady Catherine was sitting stiffly in her chair, her legs crossed at the ankles. "Where have you been, girl?" she snapped, standing, her hands perched on her hips. "I've been back for ten minutes."

"But...I thought that you were with..."

"Silence!"

Meredith immediately shut her mouth and faced the lady, her hands clenched into fists at her side as Catherine advanced slowly towards her as if she were a predator stalking her prey.

"I was with my sister, but I grew tired of her company. She bores me." Catherine reached Meredith and came to a stop before her. "You should have been waiting for me. A servant is for the convenience of their mistress. Now. Where, may I ask, were you?"

"I was simply taking a small break to get a drink. I thought that you wouldn't be back until later and..."

"Stop interrupting!" Meredith flinched as the Lady Catherine's hand connected with her cheek. She brought her hand to her face, shocked.

She stood and faced Catherine, determined not to let her know how angered she actually was.

"Now," said Catherine. "I suppose that you'll return to working without complaining? I'm going to borrow a horse and go for a ride. I want my room spotless and my covers turned down, for I shall wish to go to bed when I return. It has been a long day."

"Yes ma'am," said Meredith, her teeth clenched.

Catherine swept from the room and Meredith made her way to the window, watching until she saw her temporary mistress exit the palace and begin making her way to the stables. Then she made her way to the vanity and looked at herself in the mirror. Her face was pale and she could see, on her cheek, the beginnings of a bruise.

She glared at her reflection, before moving off to do her work. She wouldn't let Isabella know. She needed the work. However, come nighttime, she might confide in Ramona. The woman was more comfort to her than she knew.

It was around supper time when Kade finally called from outside Antony's tent

"Antony, we've looked around the entire area. No sign of any trouble. If you wish to go to Dunkirk, you may now do so."

Antony exited the tent immediately, strapping on his sword and mounting Emery, who was tied outside.

Kade mounted his horse as well and followed him.

As Antony rode to the edge of the camp, he watched as the soldiers looked up and gave him and Kade salutes or slight waves. They reached the open road and Antony roused Emery to a gallop. Kade had no choice but to do the same.

Arriving in Dunkirk, Antony dismounted, leading Emery by the reigns as he walked down the main road, looking around the small town.

"The Ellingstons' house, Kade," said Antony. "Which one is it?"

"It's at the very far edge of town," said Kade, not having dismounted his horse.

Antony nodded and began to walk, leading Emery along behind him. He squinted into the sun, trying in vain to see the end of the road.

"Antony...if you don't mind my asking..."

Antony didn't stop walking, but he turned to glance at Kade. "Go on."

"Well...I suppose I merely wondered why you're doing this."

Antony stopped for a moment, turning back to look at Kade for a few moments. He began walking once more. "One of my servants has suffered a loss; I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure that the rest of her family is safe. I would do the same for any other. I don't understand why I shouldn't. The servants serve us faithfully."

He continued on down the road, oblivious to Kade's slight smirk.

He wondered if Meredith had walked this very road. Of course she had; this was the only way through town. He pictured her, making her way to one of the small shops, buying things for her siblings, and then returning home, ready to make them happy with the delights of presents.

He clutched the letter she had given him in his hand, keeping it close as he had for the duration of the trip. He would hand it directly to Meredith's mother, Jade, taking special care to make sure that she received it.

He stopped before the last house on the street. Glancing at Kade for confirmation, to which he received a nod, he made his way to the front door and knocked.