three: proposal from a stranger

The brothers - I've decided they were brothers - were arguing down a hall from me in those fake whispers that Librarians use. I was still in the hospital bed, barely waking up, and I could hear everything they said. 

"You're insane."

"I'm telling you, it's fate. You actually said to me that what you needed was a temporary wife and then we came back to the farm to find one waiting on the porch!" 

"I was joking, Jay. JOK-ING."

"Have you asked her?"

"I'm not gonna ask her."

"Then I'll ask her for you."

"I'll knock you flat."

"Queenie will kill you."

"It is the stupidest thing you have ever suggested."

"She's single, she's probably available, she's already in a wedding dress! Plus her name!! At least find out if she's a good fit."

"She won't be. Bro, you are the least superstitious guy on the planet. You're freaking me out with this."

"Just do me a favor and find OUT, please?"

"And then you'll shut up?"

"Absolutely."

"Fine."

Footsteps approaching. My skin broke out in goosebumps and my insides shivered. At the last second, I closed my eyes like I was still sleeping. 

"Jay." A woman's voice.

"Hey," he sounded happy to see her. A soft rustling sound. "Yeah, that's her. She's resting."

"She's clean. No priors, no outstanding tickets or warrants. A driver's license that uses the University as its address. I spoke with Resident Living; the deadline for her to move out is tomorrow. They know her, no issues. Do you want her charged with trespassing?"

Wait, what? WHAT? Charged? Like arrested? I bit back a shout but I was pretty damn outraged at the idea. It was seriously time to get Dad involved if this was happening...

"She's listening," Jeb sighed. 

By now, I could recognize his really deep voice and the drizzle of soft Southern drawl in it.

I heard the scratch of curtains being moved. I blinked my eyes open and trying to pretend like I was just waking up.

"Wow, my 3 year old is a better actor than you," the woman lifted her eyebrows at me.  

I blushed. 

She was wearing regular clothes and a holster that strapped on her back.  And, whoa, she was huge pregnant. Like "have the baby already" kind of pregnant. She held up a plastic ID card. "Hello, Alice. I'm Captain Kingsley."

"Are you going to arrest me?"

"No," She was gorgeous. Like some kind of actual queen. "Out of my jurisdiction, anyway."

"Then why are you here?" 

I struggled to sit up and Dr. Scott put the bed controller in my hand.  "Captain Kingsley is my wife, Alice," he explained. "You were on our property."

I had a blurry recollection of their front porch. "Oh."

 Captain Kingsley grunted softly and rubbed her belly.

"All right?" The doctor turned slightly to his wife.

"Just a Braxton-Hicks," she assured him.

"Congratulations on the baby," I murmured.