Chapter 14 My Only Sunshine

Zane's POV

Travis and I arrived at the park. It really had been a long time since I'd been there, a new sunflower garden had been planted by the fountain. I didn't understand why people like sunflowers. They are big, not very pretty, get really tall and with the amount of seeds they produce they could get really out of hand if you didn't take care of them. I discussed this Travis, sharing my opinion and waiting for a response. "Well, I bet some people think they're pretty. I don't personally think yellow is a pretty colour but it is a happy one. Sunflowers are kind of a symbol of joy and good weather. You can at least appreciate that about them." He said thoughtfully as we sat on the sings together, rocking gently back and forth. There weren't many people there and no kids around so us big kids hogging the swings was fine. I thought about what he said. I smiled a little under my mask. Travis started to quietly sing "You are my sunshine". I chuckled a little, he turned to me as he sang "Please don't take my sunshine away", I would seen this as a beautiful gesture had I still been misinformed. "Travis, you do realise that's only one part of the song right?" I asked him. "You mean to tell me that there's more to that song and nobody told me?!" *Comment below if you're just finding this out!*
"Yeah" I told him "People think that song is all sunshine and rainbows. That it's about loving someone so much that you never want to let them go... I guess that's sort of true. It's really pretty sad." I said, nonchalantly. "How sad?" Travis asked. I began to sing the whole song for him.

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
I'll always love you and make you happy,
If you will only say the same.
But if you leave me and love another,
You'll regret it all some day..."

I stared Travis directly in the eyes at this part before continuing.

"...You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
You told me once, dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between.
But now you've left me and love another;
You have shattered all of my dreams:
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me
When I awake my poor heart pains.
So when you come back and make me happy
I'll forgive you dear, I'll take all the blame.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away"

I turned back to Travis who had tears welling in his eyes. "Zane, that was..."
He started. "Horrible, really sad, awful?" I asked, finishing his sentence. "Beautiful" Travis finished, himself. "Zane you're a beautiful singer! Why don't you sing more often?" Travis asked. I blushed, embarrassed. I like to sing all the time! I just don't when I'm around others. I'm shy about that sort of thing, especially since those kids at school bullied me because singing is for girls. I explained this to my partner who was listening very closely, as if only him and I existed in the world. "Yeah? Well people used to think falling in love with men was for girls too! But look at us! You're my strong, Handsome man who likes to sing! Nobody's going to tell you no anymore! Not with around!" Travis assured me. I lit up. How could anyone say something so loving? Travis, my only sunshine... I'll never let anyone take you away...

To be continued...