~Chapter 3~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! Things are about to hit to road starting with this chapter! We'll finally see a ( very small) glimpse of our hero/ monster. Hope you like it ! :)

Peace out

fearless-hamster

The following day

Something about the old smell of books always seemed to comfort Margo.

People might come and go, friends of yesterday might turn into foes of tomorrow, feelings might disappear as inexplicably as they once blossomed, but books remained steady. A cherished constant in an ever changing mad world.

While the duty at the tavern helped her meet her dear friend Benjamin, it was the position at the local library that calmed Margo's spirits and soothed her erratic thoughts. "It certainly helps that the likes of Quintus do not frequent such places. The sight of so many books in one place might send the miserable bastard into shock,"  mused Margo while chuckling under her breath and stashing yet another manuscript on its right shelf.

Checking to see the next book's title in the pile of tomes she had under her arm, the young girl blushed slightly –"A Midnight's Torrid Affair" explicit title certainly left nothing to the imagination about what the contents might be. Though inappropriate for a lady to read such books, Margo could admit to having borrowed a few of such novels in the past and reading them under the candlelight, while tucked away in her chambers. Her Nana would certainly approve of her forward thinking. Her father, not so much. She mentally shook herself at the thought of Mr Hartwell discovering her literary endeavours, oscillating between utter mortification and sheer amusement.

Poor Mr. Fredor, I do not even think he is aware of the existence of such a such an eyebrow raising section in his well respected library," giggled Margo out loud.

"Did you say something, dear?" called out the owner from the front of the library.

"Everything is alright, Mr Fredor! Just a pesky spider preying on unsuspecting girls!" replied Margo, finding an excuse for her outburst quickly. It just would not do to uncover her romance novels and deprive the women of town of them. A noble act indeed.

After ordering the remaining books, Margo went to look for Mr Fredor. Carefully climbing the spiral wooden staircase, she had a suspicion regarding the gentle old men's whereabouts. As always, it was the mythology and fantasy aisle where she found him. Lost amid dozens of books and chasing wild dreams.

"Ahh, Margo, there you are. My dear, if you are finished stacking those, then you are free to go. Thank you for your help, Child," said Mr. Fredor, raising his eyes from his lecture and smiling warmly at her. His thick-rimmed glasses made his dark eyes unusually large, reminding Margo of an old fuzzy rabbit.

"Mr. Fredor, are you certain this is all? I would not mind helping you clean up this wing", said Margo while eyeing the open manuscripts strewn across the floor. The pages depicted drawings of fantastic beasts that would certainly haunt her dreams that night. She wondered again how the library owner's fascination with the supernatural came to be.

"No, no, darling...Home you go! My work here is far from over. I will see you again in three days. Make sure to send my regards to your lovely grandmother from me, please," added Mr. Fredor sheepishly while avoiding her gaze. "And do take care, dear! It is dark already outside."

"Of course!"Margo smiled – her Nana and Mr. Fredor would make a nice couple.

.........................

Stepping into the crisp air of the night, the young woman shuddered from the cold, bringing her woolen shawl closer to her body. It was the end of October and no matter how hard she tried to pretend otherwise, the bohemian days of warm weather and gentle sun were over. By the way the wind was blowing so harshly, Margo could foresee an early winter upon their town.