To See But To Not See: For tmntstarfox

For tmntstarfox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are both 18

Race To The Edge

********************

You heard a grunt, then felt something push you. Instinctively, you braced for impact, but it did little to stop you from falling. You let out a gasp as the floor greeted you. The twins, you assumed, rolled away, still fighting. You huffed in frustration and stood, pushing away the hand that started to help you up.

"You guys have to be careful around (N/N). You know that!" scolded Hiccup.

"I'm fine. I can handle myself," you reminded, facing the general area of his voice.

"Yeah, what she said," grunted Tuffnut.

"So what if she can't see? She can still do the same stuff we do, minus missions, battles, seeing- of course-, reading, watching the sunrise and sunset, telling time, taking care of herself-"

"I can take care of myself just fine!" you cut off.

"-fighting, defending herself-"

"I can do that, too!"

"-and, okay, maybe we do need to be careful," concluded Ruffnut.

You stomped your foot, tired of being ignored. "I can take care of myself! I don't need help, and I certainly don't need to be ridiculed because you can't live without sight! It's ridiculous!"

"(N/N), I was blind for a day, myself," Astrid reminded, "I know it's hard, but-"

"No, you don't know! You were blinded for a day. Boo hoo. I've been blind since I was twelve! Twelve! I've been blind for years, Astrid, and, unlike any of you, am able to live without a drop of light. I don't need a babysitter, I don't need y'all to walk on egg shells around me, and I certainly don't need to treat me like I'm helpless!"

"(N/N)," Hiccup started, resting a hand on your shoulder. You swatted it away.

"No!" You opened your mouth to say more, but stopped yourself before you said something you didn't mean and walked away.

"(N/N)!" he called, not bothering to follow you. You let them watch you gracefully walk down the stairs and to the hut you shared with Hiccup. They didn't trust you enough to be safe by yourself.

You huffed and quickly packed an overnight bag. You were perfectly fine on your own and didn't need anyone's help. Before anyone could stop you, you hopped on (D/N) and flew away from the Edge altogether.

You flew to the second closest island and sent (D/N) back home with a stern, "Don't come back until you see the sun, (D/N), okay?" She hummed in concern, but flew off anyways.

You started a small fire and laid on the blanket you packed, grateful for the cool but not too cold night. You could feel the heat of the fire as it kept you warm enough to not need a blanket. You could hear nightly critters go about their business, ignoring you. One critter came within a few feet of you, and you could hear its heartbeat. You loved that about your loss of sight: the improved super hearing. You could hear the heartbeat of anyone within a few feet. Not far, but it kept you from bumping into others and from others sneaking up on you. And it wasn't like you couldn't handle loud noises, either. You just preferred the quiet or soft noises, much like the lovely nightly critters.

You smiled, enjoying your relaxing night. You knew the others would probably worry about your sudden disappearance, but you didn't care quite yet. You took a deep breath and propped your arms under your head, using your palms as a semi- comfortable pillow.