Chapter Six

Shelbie walked out into the midnight air after going through her regular trial of getting out of the school unnoticed. Thomas didn't accompany her this time, he was far too tired from... Whatever he was doing during the day. She looked up towards the sky and inhaled the earthy, cool air. She had a feeling that the seasons were changing soon, it was starting to feel a little bit more nippy in the air at night more so than usual. Looking up towards the sky as she continued walking, she smiled at a memory that brought her back to her younger years...

"Shelly Shelly!" A younger Shelbie chased after a younger boy with light brown hair and grey eyes much like her grey greenish ones running through the camp site that they had all put together at the back of their house, crying out her name.

"I'm gonna get you!!" She cooed at her little brother before catching up with him and scooping him up in her arms to spin him around as he shouted and giggled at the same time.

"Shelly put me down!" He cried. Shelbie shook her head.

"Never!"

"I'm getting dizzy!" He laughs. Giving in, Shelbie let her brother down on the ground after walking back to their camp and sat down beside him.

She was only 10 then, and he was only 5 years old. Little Shelbie and Harrison Embrose, two peas in a pod.

Harrison fell back onto the blanket that they had laid out together and slowly ceased his giggles as Shelbie sat up over beside him, slowly gaining her breath herself. Once they were done, Harrison pointed to the sky.

"Shelly?" It was what he always called her since he couldn't really fully say Shelbie without saying Shelly. So she stuck with it like her parents did, who thought what he called her was actually adorable. She didn't protest.

"Yes little Harrison?" She asked.

"It's really pretty."

"The sky?" He nods vigorously, making Shelbie giggle as she looked up towards the sky herself.

"Yeah, it is really pretty." She says, after lying down herself next to her brother. She hums for a while as her and her brother stay there together fro a while until Harrison starts to cough erratically. Inhaling sharply, Shelbie sits up and grabs a thermos filled with water and opens it up, racing to action. "Buggar!" Shelbie mutters under her breath as Harrison sits up while she brings the thermos over to him to help him drink the water that was in it. Harrison whines a bit as his coughs calms down and takes a deep breath, and drinks some more of the water. Shelbie rubs his back as he continues to drink the water.

Once he was done, Shelbie put the therms down and pulled him closer to her as she cleared his throat. "We should head back inside." He shook his head.

"Couple more minuets." He says, looking up to her with a pleading look. Unable to resist, she gives in and nods.

"Okay, just a couple more minuets, then, we pack up and go inside. Okay?"

"Mmhm." He nods and snuggles into his sister, looking up towards the sky again. Shelbie sighs as she rubs his shoulder comfortingly, looking back up to the stars with him once again. "Shelly..."

"Mmhm?" She hums.

"Will we become stars when we go on a special trip?" Shelbie understood what he was talking about... It was his way of expressing of when he would die--Or how her parents explained it. How they all explained it. Inhaling deeply, she looks back down at her brother, his light brown hair, and grey eyes reflecting the fire that was burning before them. She looked at the freckles on his face and couldn't help but bite her tongue to make sure that she wouldn't cry. Even though she was 10, she knew what was up.

"Yeah, I think so." He seemed to brighten up.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

The breeze that blew by her interrupted her thoughts, bringing her back to reality when she stumbled a bit from the force of it. She gasped, and realized that there were tears in her eyes. Blinking rapidly, she reaches up to wipe her face, sniffing in the grassy air and gulped back the lump in her throat. How long had it been? 5 years? Shelbie looked back up to the sky and smiled when she saw a few bright stars in the sky.

"Little Harrison?" She whispered. But she closed her eyes and shook her head and continued walking towards the forest. Needing to get away.

Shelbie woke up the next morning feeling lightheaded, almost feeling different after going off into the night again. Stretching out in her bed, she thought about her brother again, but thinking about him only made her heart ache in her chest. She looked over to the pillow beside her, expecting to see Thomas, but he wasn't there. Noticing the sun in the room, she opted that he was on the windowsill, right where the sun was. She smiled to herself. Lazy cat.

She got up to get ready.

"Lily!" The ginger laughed as she saw bits tiny ripped up paper fly in the air before the three girls.

"Well, I think I did that wrong." She remarked, letting out small giggles herself at the mistake. "I'll have to read that over again." Olivia cackled as she heard her sides while Candice and Shelbie leaned over the table to heave in breaths.

"Lil--I--HA!" Lily turned bright red and smacked Olivia on the shoulder lightly.

"Oh hush now." She tisked. There was another 'shush!' from the librarian that made them try harder to stifle their giggles. Candice cleared her throat after she ceased her giggles and took the book where Lily got the spell and read it over.

"I think what you have to do, is--" Shelbie didn't listen as she fished through her bag for her own book to realize that it wasn't there.

"Drat!" Shelbie cursed under her breath. "I forgot my book in my dorm--Olive, I'll be right back." The Gryffindor only nodded as she continued reading whatever she was reading as Shelbie moved her chair back and headed out of the library.

Once she made it back to her dorm, she grabbed her book but noticed that Thomas wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"Tommy?" She called. "Thomas?" Expecting to see his form show up sometime, which he didn't, worry started to settle into her heart. "Oh no..."

He was out again.

She raced out of her dorm, forgetting the book that she had retrieved and raced out towards the common room to see him with another girl, and she called out his name.

"Thomas!" She rushed over and scooped him up in her arms, relief flowing through her as she looked down at him. "Tommy, you can't just run off. I'm so sorry, did he bother you?" Shelbie looked up to see that the girl brown hair that had a red hue to it, tied up in a ponytail and light blue eyes. She knew the girl was Jackie from the look of her, she also recognized her hanging out with Natalie a few times.

"No, not at all." She replied, which relieved Shelbie to no end, and she thanked Merlin under her breath that her little troublemaker didn't do anything to bother anyone. "What kind of cat is it?" Shelbie smiled as she started to pet him.

"A tabby cat." Thomas leaned into her touch as she massaged his neck and purred.

"You know Natalie, don't you?"

"Natalie Hoff?"

"Yeah." Shelbie nodded then,

"Yes, I do. I see you with her a lot." The girl smiled.

"Yeah, I've known her since our first year."

"She's a very nice girl." The girl had a wise look on her face.

"You sure we're talking about the same Natalie?" She had a teasing tone in her voice, which made Shelbie laugh.

"I mean, she can be a little mean." She smirked.

"Well, I'll see you later Shelbie, I have to go meet my sister. She just can't live without me." She smiled and then she turned towards Thomas. "Goodbye Thomas." And she left a smiling Shelbie with a content looking cat behind.

"You mister, are in a heap of trouble." She says to him, making him look back at her with innocent gooseberry green eyes. "Oh don't give me that look." And she headed back to her dorm with Thomas in tow.