X

JADA

My knuckles throbbed considerably; the pain shooting up my wrist and, from there, up my arm. I let out a frustrated yell and swung my other fist into the rough bark of the same tree.

"Fucking ridiculous!" I yelled, kicking my right foot out, connecting with the tree once more, and then yelping when a sharp pain erupted. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

"I'm going to take a wild guess and assume the tree is not the cause of your frustrations?"

Julian was leaning against a similar tree a few feet away. He looked collected and calm, the exact opposite of myself. Despite the look of amusement scrawled across his features, I could see the worry in his eyes, and more prominently, his curiosity.

"She kissed me," I spit out. The words themselves felt sour, but I was too angry to appreciate the feel of her against me. "And I kissed her back. She was naked," I twisted my head to send him an exasperated look, "and I was so close to losing it, Julian. So goddamn close."

"Well why didn't you?" He asked.

"I can't! I have been loyal to Hunters from the second I began training. It's who I am. I have spent over eleven years planning my entire future around my job. I have never wanted anything more than to come home after every mission to our apartment and live only a few minutes away from the Academy."

"And now?" Julian questioned calmly.

"Now I'm living on an island that never fucking stops raining, surrounded by emotional werewolves. Now I want her. Now I can see myself here. I want to go home, Jules. I want to train at the Academy and cook the only meal I know how to cook for us and, dammit, I wouldn't mind seeing Gabriel Caine again!"

Julian snorted. "That's bullshit."

"Yeah," I chortled, "I could live without seeing him again."

We remained quiet for a few minutes, now both leaning against opposite trees. Both of my fists were throbbing and my right foot wasn't feeling too great either, but I knew I'd heal within a day or two, and it didn't at all compare to how much my situation hurt.

"You know I'll support you regardless of what you decide to do," my best friend murmured softly. Despite the darkness, I could see him quite clearly, including the sincerity in his eyes. "But what are you going to do?"

I let out a small sigh, flexing my fingers to generate blood flow to my bruising knuckles. "I have to reject her."

I didn't have to explain myself to him. I'd never had to explain myself to Julian, he always simply understood. It was one of the reasons I loved him so much. So instead of questioning my decision, he walked forward and wrapped his arms around me tightly. I let myself relax into his warm embrace and my anger melted away instantaneously.

"I love you more than anything in the world," he whispered softly into my hair, "and if you think this is the right choice, I will support you unconditionally. I will love you whether you decide to be with her or not."

I broke away from him and reached for his hand, walking back towards the pack house to get out of the rain. It was soft, barely noticeable, but I'd been outside for almost a half hour and it was becoming very noticeable to me at that point.

Julian followed behind me silently, allowing me to drag him through the halls of the house until we reached his room. He reached for one of the many books he'd brought with him and nestled himself into the chair beside the window wall that led to the balcony. A thin lamp was perched beside his chair, giving him enough light to read without straining his eyes.