TWENTY: RUN

Media: Mercy – Shawn Mendes

Coe's POV

I stood outside the door, nerves frazzled, head spinning and wishing I had more balls to take the elevator all the way to the ground floor and walk out of the building with my chin in the air and my pride intact. Instead, I only managed to take the elevator just one storey down from Jared's apartment, my head hung in shame.

The door to Heath's apartment swung open almost immediately after I had pressed the doorbell and I stared with wide eyes at the naked chest bulging in front of me. I blinked several times, realising how incredibly fit Heath was, and the fact that he was currently only dressed in a pair of sweat pants and nothing else. I blinked a few more times to try to get my thoughts back together as I forced myself to look at his face instead of the tattoos he had on his exposed skin.

"Coe?" He looked flustered to see me at his door step. I couldn't blame the man. I have never travelled anywhere between the ground floor and Jared's apartment in the years that we have moved here, and while Heath and I have grown relatively friendly with one another, we weren't well acquainted enough for me to come to his house unannounced.

"I tried to call you earlier, but the call got cut off in the elevator..." I started to explain.

Heath looked away from me to look down at the phone in his hand, "Hang on, I have a phone call from-"

"Jared, it's probably Jared calling. Can I come in?" I asked, feeling vulnerable, as though Jared would come for me and drag me back to his apartment if I don't get inside fast enough. I wouldn't put it past Jared to take back his words and decide that I wasn't allowed to leave his apartment to stay anywhere else, not even at Heath's. He was always erratic with his decisions, doing things as he pleased, when he pleased. I hated that about him.

He eyed the backpack on my shoulder that I have yet to zip up, exposing all the clothing that I had chucked into my bag without a care, before he nodded and stepped aside for me to go in. The surprised look on his face was still etched on his face as I walked through the doors.

Heath's apartment was vastly different from what I imagined, and definitely completely different from Jared's. There was no spiral stairs in the middle of the apartment as I enter, and I reminded myself that Jared's home was a penthouse, and he had two-storeys to his apartment, while Heath lived one storey under us and only had one level to himself.

Judging from the looks of things, he really lives by himself and only himself. Figures. I can't imagine anyone else would be alright with him fawning over Jared day in and day out, catering to his needs at any time of the day. I know I'll hate to have to share Heath with someone else so demanding of his time.

Instead of a kitchen island, Heath had a small dining table with two chairs tucked under it. His fridge was smaller than the one in Jared's apartment, but there were stacks of wine and other spirits in racks and shelves in the kitchen. It honestly looked like Heath had an unhealthy addiction. The unwashed glasses in the sink did nothing to prove me wrong.

As Heath stepped away from me to answer the call on his phone, I let my eyes wander around the apartment from where I stood, tuning out Heath's voice. I didn't really want to eavesdrop, and I didn't want to invite myself further into the house either, in case Heath decides that he didn't want me to stay. Who am I kidding, really? Heath would do anything Jared wanted in a heartbeat.

The house was spacious with not much furniture, but the couch in the living room was big enough to almost be used as bed. I suppose Heath spend quite some time on a particular corner of it as it was draped with a fleece blanket and it dipped slightly where he would sit at. I could already see him in that corner, where there was a small work table beside it that had his tablet, laptop and charging cables draping down the sides of it. I'm quite sure Heath's life could be summarised from that corner of the couch.