Part 39

As the skies got dimmer and there was still no sign of the others, I found myself climbing up the ladder of a watch tower, wanting to talk to another person I knew had the same thoughts going through their mind.

"Seen anything yet?" I asked as I reached the top, standing beside Rosita and looking out over the swarm of walkers at the wall.

"No." She said weakly, shaking her head and showing the first bit of emotion I'd ever seen from her.

I sighed, sick of myself crying and wanting to hold my composure, "They're ok, right?"

"I honestly don't know," she shrugged, "If they were just leading the herd away, they should've been back hours ago.. it doesn't make sense."

I sighed again, looking up in an attempt to keep tears from escaping before looking over at her, "Daryl said he'd come back-- he promised, and he'll bring the others with him."

"Well, I sure hope you're right." She breathed, looking back over the herd.

"Uh, and thanks for taking out that guy today-- the one that was chasing me." I said, attempting to change the sensitive subject.

She nodded, wiping an escaped tear off of her cheek as a small smile appeared on her face, "Now we're even for that time in the woods."

I chuckled, "So what you're saying, is that if I'm 2ft from death again-"

"You're on your own." She joked, cutting me off.

I nodded, "Sounds like a deal."

***

As 1am rolled around, I found myself in the same spot I was last night; on the couch in my living room, hoping that somehow Daryl would end up on the other side of my door.

I was so tired and my muscles ached, but my mind refused to let me sleep as it continued to torment me with all of my fears and weaknesses.

All I wanted to know was where everyone else was, when they'd be back, and if they all would be back, but right now, my mind was focused on Daryl. I had fully come to terms with that fact that I relied on him more than I wanted to admit, but it was true. He made me feel safe and secure and like, when I was with him, there was never anything to worry about because I knew he could protect me. To think, not too long ago, I hated him and had no idea how I'd ever work with him and do runs for the group, and now, I can't imagine living in this world without him. I didn't know how I really felt about him, my mind hadn't let me get that far, I just knew that I needed him.

***

As the night got even later, I felt the lack of sleep finally start getting to me; my anxiety rising and even more unwanted tears threatening to fall.

A point soon came where I couldn't take it anymore; I couldn't take being alone with only my mind to remind me of every bad thing that has and could happen. I quickly got up, leaving out my front door and making the same walk I did, just the night before, to Rick's house. I silently hoped to see Daryl standing by the porch again, but of course, it was empty.

I stood in front of the door, contemplating just going back home instead and not waking everyone else up, until, out of nowhere, the door opened in front of me.

"Liz?" Rick asked, squinting to see me through the dark, "Hey, what're you doing out here?"

"I'm- I'm sorry," I stuttered, my mind going blank from exhaustion, "I just- I couldn't sleep."

He opened the door up farther, gesturing me in, "It's fine; I couldn't either."

I let out a heavy sigh as I sat down on the edge of the couch, my head resting in my hands as I tried to organize my thoughts.

"What's keeping you up?" Rick asked as he made his way around the couch, taking a seat beside me.

I shook my head before looking over at him, my eyes filled with uncontrollable tears, "I'm scared," I said weakly, "And the rest of the groups not back yet."

Rick nodded, "I know, I-" he stopped, trying to find the right words, "They probably just got held up somewhere and are waiting for daylight."

"But how do you know?" I asked, my voice shaky, "How do you know that something didn't happen? That- that something didn't go right?"

He sighed, rubbing his hand over the scruff on his face, "I don't."

_____
Short chapter BUT, I wanted to touch on Daryl and Liz's relationship right now because I understand it may not be too clear to everyone.

Important:
Although we haven't seen Daryl and Liz show traditional signs of flirting/being interested in each other, it's definitely there if you read close enough.

Through telling each other about their backgrounds, they've both become closer than they have with probably anyone else since this whole 'apocalypse' got started, and that's because they have similar childhoods and feel safe enough with each other to share them.
They understand each other's feeling and boundaries and will continue to have a slow going 'relationship'.
Their feeling may not even be told directly from themselves-- like we saw in the last chapter where Rick revealed that Daryl really cares about Liz. Although we never saw it, since this book is through the eyes of Liz, Daryl and Rick have definitely talked about Liz behind closed doors.

They feel safe around each other, but emotionally, there are still some walls up.

If you guys have any other questions/concerns at all with this book, please comment and let me know. I'd be happy to answer, clear up, and discuss anything about it.