Chapter 51

April's POV

Soft, violin music drifted on the wind, the melody of the piano like a stream in the background. We were in a garden, strung high with flowers and lights. White chairs were sat opposite an alter, with 3 people in front of me. Antonio, in all his young glory, and a woman by his side.

The women was beautiful; she had long, curled hair that fell down her wedding dress – it was gorgeous. I examined her face; she had friendly, almond eyes – they looked exactly like Cole's – and bow shaped lips that curved up into a shy smile. Her cheekbones were high like Aiden's and I could see a mix of her three sons in her features.

"I now pronounce you, man and wife."

Maria – I realized – Aiden's late mother.

Then, her head turned and her eyes focused on me – I stepped back, startled. The applause from the invisible guests seemed to distort and slow, and the guest's expressions frozen with time. Maria swooped her long, wedding gown from the alter and stepped towards me.

She beckoned and I followed as though fixed in a trance.

"Come, sit." She patted the space next to her and smiled.

I obeyed and  glanced sideways in awe. "Are you confused?" She asked gently. "I'm Maria – Aiden's mother."

"I know." My voice sounded as though I was underwater.

She sighed. "I'm happy that you are Aiden's mate; my son has been in a dark place since I passed and I've waited for this moment for a very long time. The day he was finally saved from his own hell." I didn't speak, too intrigued by her presence. Too scared to interrupt this angel. "I'd like to thank you, April."

"Don't." I gurgled. "I understand the concept of mates now – I think we've finally accepted it." I paused. "Aiden loves you very much – he says you love stars."

Loved." She corrected remorsefully. "Oh, I did April. Antonio wasn't very fond of it though, but he'd come for me. He'd always come."

I smiled back at her , feeling as though it was my very own mother speaking to me. I'd never felt so peaceful.

"You have not seen your mother in a long time, have you child?"

I shook my head.

"Do you miss them?"

"Yes. I want to see them again."

"You will... Soon enough." She smiled at me as she glanced around her."Time is running out, April. I need to say goodbye. Please take care of Aiden – Antonio, Kaden, Cole. They need something in their lives to take away the pain I caused them  – they need an innocent mind, a difference of opinion – a woman to keep them in check." I laughed but it sounded as though I was gurgling. "I wish I was able to meet you properly. But I'm always here watching over you both..." she broke off.

"Thank you." I replied, watching curiously at her distorting form.

Her eyes darkened and suddenly, it felt like I was transported and that I was now watching from the confines of a dark forest. All sound was muted.

The fountains frozen and burst into tiny, fragments, the columns leading up the alter collapsed, the guests disintegrated. Maria looked at me once more, the chaos not quite reaching her. The roses in her hand withered and a sharp, flash of light shattered the reverie. The dream was gone – she was gone.