Anger and empathy

ZACK

"You betrayed us Cal!" I yelled pulling him by his collar once I finally got the door open.

"I was always betraying you! Eve and Heath are my friends! I would never follow you and your evil schemes!" He exclaimed as I shoved him onto the sofa.

"She got away!" I yelled in his face.

"Why do you care, you don't love her like Heath does..." He sighed.

"Because I need money!" I said in disbelief.

"Then find someone else! Why Eve? Just because Heath has her, you think you need her too? Well you don't find someone else..." He told me as Jen walked up close behind me.

"Yeah, the right girl can be closer than you think..." She breathed in my ear. "Very close..." She smiled into my neck.

"Jen. That would be weird, your my best friend..." I squeezed her hand apologetically.

"Yeh, so...things can change, clearly you haven't changed one bit, but other things can. Just think, maybe all this chasing isn't worth it...maybe there could be an easier way to keep money, with someone you really love." She explained her voice sweet and it was drawing me in.

The thing is she was right, I didn't love Eve, I hated her and Heath, that's why...I need to get Heath back...he gets everything, the second chance, mum, the gorgeous girl, and the money. I get no one and nothing. I was a cab driver, trying to earn money I lost.

I was ecstatic when father contacted me and told me I could have money, but he said there was a catch. I had to marry, first. I looked and searched for an easier way to marry quick. My quick option was Eve.

Then there was Heath. Who always got in the way, even when we were kids, he was the handsome charming one, I was the science nobody. I changed though, I wanted girlfriends, a life so I changed, I act dumb now, to get girls attention. It had worked on every girl, accept one....

....Eve....

....that made me very angry....

LUCY

"I'm glad I got away from Heath, he is horrid, when we were kids the last time I saw him we were nine, he was really into science. With little lab specs and a lab coat, he loved blowing things up. Now look at him..." Joe sighed as we got to the hospital.

"I've only ever known him like this...although I would have loved to have seen his specs!" I joked walking to the reception.

"Yes miss?" The brown haired smartly dressed woman asked.

"My mum is here, she came in a while ago." I told her.

"Mari?" She asked.

"Yes!" I exclaimed happy to hear my mums name

"I will just call a nurse to come take you to her." She replied smiling before calling the nurse.

"So yea...." I continued.

"His specs were massive on him." Joe chuckled making my heart flutter once more.

"Now that I would have loved to have seen!" I smiled.

"Lucy?" A quiet voice asked.

"Yea...I'm Lucy." I replied facing a short strong builded nurse.

"Follow me." She ordered lightly.

We followed her as she glided down halls dodging wheel chairs and wheelie beds. She guided us to the sick and examination ward and opened a curtain revealing my mum laying asleep on a bed.

"She is due to wake up in ten. Meanwhile can I get you anything?" The nurse explained.

"Water please." I replied emotionless.

"Same." Joe agreed.

"Sure." She smiled, then left us to wait for my mother to awaken.

"She'll be okay..." Joe placed a hand on my waist.

I cried suddenly, I buried my head in his chest and just let it all out.

I wanted my mother to wake up....desperately.

JOE

I patted her back gently and hugged her soothing her into silence. I'd never felt this kind of pain before, being worried about loosing a loved one. But seeing Lucy cry and weep made me glad.

Lucy had a power over me, one to make me love her, care for her, but most of all feel what she was feeling.

I'm no genius...but I'm pretty sure that's called empathy, and I feel her sadness.