chapter two || take me to the muffins, male nurse

I'VE ALWAYS HATED the fact that I have slight sleep-apnea. To be put more simply, I've been told that although quite lightly, I do, in fact, snore. Because of this not only is my mouth dry but a rancid taste accumulated overnight. Stupid bacteria. I can feel the early morning sun gently peeking in through the glass windows, illuminating the otherwise dim room with light golden rays. I lie on my side with my eyes still closed, until I decide to muster up the strength to let them flutter open. Even though I'm at least a metre or two away, the first thing that stands out amongst the homely aesthetic are Peter's features pressed against his pillow looking back at me. I send him a small smile from where I am, which he returns instantly. His eyebrows are genuinely turned up and his freckled cheekbones are more prominent with the lighting, even though he has slight bags under his eyes.

"Hey," he says.

"Good morning."

"Feeling better?"

"Oh yeah," I reply enthusiastically. "I so needed that sleep. But you! Your injury was way worse than mine – Is your arm feeling any better?"

He laughs a little. "Well." I raise an eyebrow. "I'm not bleeding, and there's no longer a bullet in my arm. Yet, I'm in need of that raspberry salve they were giving us. Speaking of which, you should go reapply some to your hand."

"That's second on my to-do list. First is brushing my teeth."

"Go then," he instructs dramatically. "I can't really go anywhere anyways." I roll my eyes and leave for the bathroom.

A few minutes later, I return with fresh breath and a slightly achy hand. Aside from Peter, who is still lying on the cot, the only other person I recognize is the sandy-haired nurse that took care of me yesterday. His shadow casts on the ground, an silhouette of his frame amongst everything else in the room, displayed through the slightly less golden yet equally enchanting light of the sun.

"You're back," Peter says with a crooked grin. This causes Jackson to swivel around and meet my gaze. He smiles with his blueish-greenish eyes at me and steps aside so I can sit on my cot.

"Hi Peter," I respond, before following with a "Hey Jackson."

Jackson sets a fresh glass of water on the table next to my bed before picking up and shaking the bottle of my antibiotic capsules.

"Have you taken your morning dose yet?"

"Er..." I trail off. "No?"

Jackson rolls his eyes. "So. Take 'em now," he laughs, tossing me the small bottle. I unscrew the lid and pop a pill in my mouth, quickly washing it down my throat with a wave of water. "Anyways," Jackson continues. "The reason I'm here is not only to check up on you, but to 1, tell you that you'll be meeting with Johanna and the rest of Amity in an hour and a half, and 2, let you know breakfast is ready in the caf. If you feel up to it, you can follow me."

I look at Peter. He raises his eyebrows at me, like he's asking if I'm hungry. Obviously. I roll my eyes with enough sarcasm that I don't even need to speak, and nod.

"Um... do you, by any chance, know if there are blueberry muffins?"

"Baked fresh with our own produce. Nice and warm too, from when I last checked."

At the sound of my all-time favourite load of carbs, I immediately spring up from where I was sitting and look Jackson dead in the eye.

"Take me to the muffins, male nurse."

Jackson just laughs at my antics as he goes to help Peter up and out of the cot before leading us to the abundance of baked goods and breakfast foods.