Chapter Three

Hours had passed by, with only two resumes handed out between the thirty or so businesses I had approached.

It seems as though every store and office in the vicinity were either looking for experience or the positions were already filled.

I sat down on a bench outside a large building, exhaustion weighing on my shoulders.

I hadn't seen this building two years ago. Big bold letters sat above two large glass doors. McNelly Enterprises. Staring down at me, as if discriminating my choice of attire.

What looked to be twenty stories high, full of sophistication and hard working, experienced employees rushing to and fro. I doubt my resume would even grant entry level into a building like this.

I hopped off the chair, failure looming, and began to make my way back home when a screech held me back.

"Ky!" A familiar voice yelled out.

I turned to see my old best friend sprinting towards me with open arms.

Sarah.. the most popular girl in school. All the boys swooned over her. She was the epitome of beauty. Long blonde hair, thin physeek, long legs and a million dollar smile. On the contrary, I was quite the opposite in school; ordinary, brown hair, tanned skin and braces. I always wondered why she chose to be friends with someone like me.

"Sarah," I squealed back in delight, embracing myself for the crush.

She was another person, other then my family, that I had completely ignored when I disappeared two years ago.

I was squashed into a bone crushing hug, unable to catch a breath until Sarah pulled me back by my shoulders and looked at me as though searching for something.

I began to fidget under her stare before she questioned "what happened to my best friend?" She asked stunned. "You look amazing!!".

A flash of hurt crossed her eyes before she quickly replaced it with a friendly smile.

"Are you back for good now?" She questioned timidly.

"Yes, I sure am -- if I can find a bloody job." I huffed.

I was happy to see a genuine smile reach her eyes, as though I had answered her question perfectly.

My best friend was always good at reading my body language and knew not to pry into my return.

I was surprised when she quickly spoke "their's a position opening at my work -- If you are interested in working as a personal assistant, I can put a word or two in for you?" She paused, as if thinking of what to say next. "The pay is exceptional, most workers are easy to get along with. The only downfall is the CEO... who is a sexy, arrogant, muscular, womanizing, 24-year old 'daddy's boy'.  She spoke dreamily. "As dreamy as that sounds -- his assistant's haven't lasted more then a week. He can be quite the jerk, they pack and leave before they even settle".

Well I am most definitely used to arrogant assh*les and I am desperate for any position thrown my way.

"Yes, yes please -- nothing I can't handle", I quickly answered.

If the CEO thinks he will be getting rid of me, he has another thing coming. I am desperate for money and I need my own place asap. Challenge accepted!

Before Sarah had made her way back from her lunch break, she grabbed a resume and  exchanged numbers and we were on our way. She had promised to try her best to organise an interview.

I was a bit stunned when she had mentioned where the position was, and that it was infact the intimidating building I was looking up at earlier, McNelly Enterprises.