Chapter Twenty-three

I had made my way to the top floor of McNelly Enterprises.

I was welcomed by a large, open space suite. I placed a few steps inside, looking around as I took a breath of fresh, crisp air.

There wasn't a speckle of dust in sight, the place was impeccable. Bare walls, simple furniture, with the odd expensive-looking sculpture. Everything was set to a minimum, a couple of books lined a shelf to my right, the black kitchen overlooked the living and dining room. A large television sat above the fireplace, infront of two intricately detailed arm chairs. Doors lined one side of the suite, most likely the bedrooms and rest rooms.

Everything looked expensive, I was too afraid to touch anything, break anything or pry, instead settling for a safe place on the couch.

I would wait here until Marcus gets here.

Exhaustion had taken over and my eyes were starting to droop. I fell into a deep slumber, head placed on the arm of the chair.

I was awoken by the sound of a door slamming. I turned to my side and seen Marcus approaching, loosening his tie and kicking off his shoes.

"Kylie, we need to talk".

This didn't sound good.

"Your ex boyfriend has alot of ties, we weren't able to catch him outside, though infact a few gang members from West end".

My breath caught. I knew Jacob was affiliated in a gang and now I was getting Marcus involved.

"I also have my ties and a strong relationship with their leader Ky. I can get the boss to drop his men, but I can't promise Jacob will stop at that. Until then I will keep you insight, at work and in this suite". He spoke softly, searching my eyes questionly.

"I can't do this Marcus, I can't have you involved. Why are you protecting me?"

He paused, as though cautious of his answer. "Don't argue with me, I was involved when he threatened you. I would do this for any of my -- workers".

I felt heart broken. Is that all I am to him? Who was I kidding, we barely know each other. All we have done is had a harmless hang out.

"I'll have you know that I have also placed your family in one of my safe houses until things settle down".

I brushed my hurt away and was greatful he would do this for my family and I.

"Thankyou Marcus, I truly do appreciate your help" I smiled genuinely.

"Now come on, let me show you to your room".

I followed Marcus to the doors I had seen earlier. Firstly he showed me the toilet and bathroom, black tiles lined the walls, a large mirror filled the wall above the double basins. A large shower head was in centre of a screenless shower, while a separate, black tub overlooked the city view.

Next to the bathroom was another door, "this is my guestroom, in which you will be staying in" he gestured to the large room that consisted of a king bed and bedside table. "And lastly, next to your room is my space, but you dont need to see that".

I sprawled out onto the soft quilt, this was heaven. I looked up into Marcus's gaze.

"Soft? I'm guessing" he said with a chuckle.

I pat the bed next to myself, "come and see for yourself".

I was surprised when Marcus took long strides towards me and jumped onto the bed.

Once again, we were a hair length apart, as we bounced and giggled around.

"Clean up, while I cook for you Ky" he smiled before jumping off the bed. "You must be starving".

"The CEO, billionaire, can cook?" I raised an eyebrow skeptically.

"Come and see for yourself" he smirked back.

I giggled and made my way to the bathroom where I washed away all my worries.
I jumped out the shower, grabbed a towel when relisation dawned on me. I hadn't thought of a change of clothes.

On thought, a knock resounded throughout the bathroom. "Do you need clothes?"

"Ye-s ye-es please"

"You wouldn't be stuttering by any chance?" I heard him giggle from behind the door. "Unlock the door, I'll throw them in without looking".

"Ok" I mumbled out before making my way towards the door. My legs grew stiff as my inner core throbbed. Why was my body betraying me? I couldn't possibly want him in here with me?

I unlocked the door, held my towel against myself and as promised, Marcus threw the clothes in and closed the door without peaking. I was disappointed. Disappointed that he didn't go against his word and slam me into the closest wall.

I dropped my dirty thoughts and made my way to the kitchen, surprised that Marcus had made a bolognese dish from scratch.

We hooked into our meals. It was safe to say that dinner was an absolute treat. Who knew that a man with money could cook.

I hoed down my meal, not the slightest bit fazed by my lack of table manners. Not the slightest bit embarrassed as I looked towards an 'amused Marcus'.

I was starting to feel comfortable around him. I've told him more than my family and best friend put together. And im thankful he has stood by my side through and through.

We retreated to our bedrooms shortly after our meal. Today had been a long day for both of us.

A large smile was plastered on my face as I fell into another deep slumber.

Morning had come around and I made my way down to the floor below. Marcus wasn't in this morning.

I greeted Marie and busied myself in my work.

Whilst filing, I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist and I was drawn into the chest of who I thought was Marcus. My lips were drawn into a large smile as i nestled my back into the warm embrace.

"I've got you now" a familiar voice whispered into my ear.

My heart started pounding, it couldn't be Jacob. He couldn't be here. Marcus promised he wouldn't let him near me.

I turned to face the culprit and tried to let out a loud scream as a hand covered my mouth to muffle the noise.

I heard another familiar voice, it was Marcus, "ky, ky, kylie!" It almost sound distant. I tried to put a face to his voice though couldn't see him anywhere. I heard him once again, "ky!" This time the voice was louder. My body started to shake uncontrollably. He has got me now. I let out another scream, this time able to fight off Jacob's hand.

My eyes flew open, Marcus hovering over me, shaking me. I looked around the dark room and couldn't see any trace of the office or Jacob. I wrapped my arms around his bare shoulders.

"It's just a nightmare Ky, I'm here" Marcus cooed as he rocked soothingly.

I was awoken by a nightmare. A nightmare that felt too real. And the man who I thought could save me from Jacob had infact done that in my dreams.

"Can you stay?" I asked inconspicuously.

I was surprised when Marcus had agreed and jumped into bed with me.

I turned the other direction, closed my eyes as sleep began to take over.

I felt an arm snake around my waist as I was brought into a hard, bare chest. This time by my protector.

"Goodnight Marcus" I whispered.

"Goodnight Ky" he replied, tightening his hold on me.

I smiled as sleep had fully taken over.